What are people seeing?!

Have you heard about that Monster Buck that was taken last week...?? Talk about it here!!

Re: What are people seeing?!

Postby savingyour6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:42 pm

thats a good question... iv never paid much attention to the rest of the moon phases... wonder if they have anything to do with the rut?
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby jpuff » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:04 pm

I have heard it does and it doesnt. Some people could be talking out there bottom end or they could be right. I would like to find out if its true.
Rem. 11-87
Browning Bow
jpuff
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

12.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Well I am still trying to find actual scientific evidence that the moon does anything to deer. Does anyone know if there is any?
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:12 pm

i know when the moon is full and the wind is down they will feed all night and travel farther.... but thats the only moon phase that i really thinks means anything
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:19 pm

So does that mean that you should go hunting in the morning that following day?
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic

306.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:25 pm

i generally hunt the evening before and the morning after... the evening before i hunt the pre staging areas where the deer will hang out before going to out to the food and the morning after i hit the travel corridor between the food and the beds...
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:07 pm

savingyour6,that is some good info about the food and such. I will have to make sure to start gettin the food out and hunting those areas. Problem is, I am kinda in a sticking point with where my stand is. I am out of the corridor for the bedding area, and I don't know where they are getting their food from right now. They used to be using the corridor where my stand is. Thats why I put it there. But they aren't coming by there anymore. However, I can't move my stand cause I don't have any permission to hunt any other place. So I kinda don't know what to do in that situation. I guess I am going to have to go out to some other spots that I have and try there. Oh well.

Where do you think those deer that you shot were getting the green from savingyour6? Do you think they are eacting mostly green right now and staying away from corn and such, or do you think they will eat whatever they can get their mouth around right now?
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic

306.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:28 pm

i have seen the deer alot in the community close to my stand. and thats the direction they come from every morning. so i think they where getting their greens from the shrubs and plants that the people have around their houses. there are big oak trees in the neighborhood too and so i figure they are eating those up as well. if you can take a deer even a smaller one and look at the stomach you will see what they are nibbling on alot better. one of the things you may wanna try is a counter scent.... if the deer are not using their normal corridor then something has happened.... they busted you, your hunting the wrong wind, or something has pushed them to use another way out of the area... you can sit there and hope they come back before season ends or you can get a little aggressive buy some cheap old tshirts.... where then for like 2 days but them in a ziploc bag... find where the deer are bedding and go about 100 yds away down their other corridor open the bag and place it on a small shrubb a few feet off the ground... then dont hunt your stand a few days (week-ish)go back in and poof the deer should be using your corridor.... also this is a good time to throw corn or whatever you use down by your stand. it doenst always work and it can backfire however iv used this trick in the past and it can work great... if your just now baiting another tip is throw something that REALLY gets their attention such as molasses covered corn or acorn rage covered corn something with a powerful attractant. i really like molasses... its time proven and well worth it...
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Good tips. That sounds like a good plan. I might have to use that.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic

306.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:34 pm

its worked for me in the past... iv even used it at the airport... the other trick is dont overhunt a stand... try to switch it up some... i hunt 2 different places regularly, with a guest place every now and then.... due to be being in Norfolk i dont get to hunt except on the weeknds has really helped keep the pressure down
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

PreviousNext

Return to Deer Hunting Facts and Rumors