What it takes to become a professional hunter....

Ask A Professional Hunter...

What it takes to become a professional hunter....

Postby Evotek » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:06 pm

I looked at the other post, and was amazed how many times this question has come up. This is a question that I have heard numerous times. Being involved in the industry in the capacity that I am, I find myself surrounded by people that some may consider "Pro-hunters". Most of these people would never refer to themselves as pro hunters just HUNTERS.

If you have a passion for hunting then you can always become more involved. If you have ever attended a seminar and felt like there was something that you could add to the information you just heard. Then you probably meet the requirements to be a Pro Hunter.

Now don't think that it is easy. Every company out there is looking for that person who will dedicate the needed time to help promote their products. These companies are not looking for only great hunters.......What they are looking for is this: A pro staff member who will be able to demonstrate throughout the year a very active archery agenda. 3-D shoots, target shoots, hunts, hunting shows, etc. which all weigh into the balance of how active a representative of the company should stay involved in the sport and thus is successful as an ambassador for archery and hunting in general.

If you think you can meet each of these requirements then you are probably exactly what most of these companies are looking for. So make the commitment to attend the necessary venues and introduce yourself to the companies you like, and then offer your service for free to start. Keep them updated on what you are doing and if you remember what purpose you serve then you will be rewarded.

Don't forget this industry is made up of some the greatest people in the world. So put your neck out there, they want chop it off.

JMO
Last edited by Evotek on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evotek pro-staff,Scent-lok pro-staff,Double BullArchery pro-staff,Hunting Science pro-staff,Easton pro-staff
Producer Dream Chasers Outdoors

http://www.livehunt.com/Truhuntr
http://www.myspace.com/Evotekbows
Evotek
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:24 pm

Let me ask you this - in the dept of videos - what software would you recommend for editing, and would you recomend the Canon GL2?
Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life.

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Evotek » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:37 pm

Hey Chris,

Well as for editing I am mostly familiar with Final Cut Pro which is very user friendly. Don't forget that Mac is the way to go when it comes to video and audio. PC just doesn't have capabilities for video and audio lik Mac.

As for the Canon GL2 I have three in my equipment. If you put this camera in the right hands you can't beat it. The flourite lens is awesome in low light and the camera in general is very user friendly. I can take this camera, hand it to anyone and they can use it successfully. You cant beat the price. One of the only downsides with any Canon is you have to keep it dust free, and clean the heads religiously. Otherwise I say 3 thumbs up. Keep in mind that the most important factors for quality footage is to make sure that you purchase a 3 chip (3 CCD) camera for quality color. Also before you sink the dough into an editing suite, you might look for some freelance editors, they are easy to find. Chances are that your church has one that does projects for them. Just ask..
Evotek pro-staff,Scent-lok pro-staff,Double BullArchery pro-staff,Hunting Science pro-staff,Easton pro-staff
Producer Dream Chasers Outdoors

http://www.livehunt.com/Truhuntr
http://www.myspace.com/Evotekbows
Evotek
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby whitetail2 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:06 am

I just found out last night at work, that one of the guys I work with is on the Team Realtree Prostaff.
My first question was, how did you get to become a prostaff member. He told me that, Realtree scans all the state record books, looking for hunters who take big bucks on a regular basis. That was how he was picked to join their team.
As evotec said, he doesn't consider himself anything but a plain ol' hunter.A real down to earth kind of guy who just killls big bucks. We should be able to see him in the next release of Realtree's Monster Buck series. He just returned from a Kansas rifle hunt where he bagged a buck whose green scoce was over a 175"!!! The hunters name is Chris Smith. I would love to show you all a picture, but Realtree bought all rights to this deer, and he's not allowed to have pics of the buck, yet. Guess Realtree wants to keep it real close to the vest so we'll buy the video. Chris did tell me he gets to keep the head, have it scored and entered into the record books, so that sounds like a win, win situation to me.
A sharp broadhead is a bowhunters best friend
HuntOnly Pro Staff
NRA Life Member
whitetail2
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Poppy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Being a prostaff member isn't the glory job I thought it would be, it is actually hard work at times. I agree that most of the"pro"hunters are just normal folks who were in the right place at the right time. Most of the answers I can give are coming from just hunting, and shooting just like everyone else does, I just get to spend more time doing it.
Poppy
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

66.00Points

Return to Pro Questions