Cross Bow

Need help or have Questions on Setup, How to, tuning, etc... It's all here!

Cross Bow

Postby savingyour6 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 am

provided the world doesnt end, i will be getting a crossbow on sat. its a Horton 175 hd team Realtree. iv never shot one, never did anything with one. but this deal i couldnt pass up. anyone have any tips? whats a good bolt? whats a good bolt length? cna i continue to use 100 grain heads or do i have to go to 125's? can i use an old actual arrow to fire it after a hunt? do i ahve to get a better targe than i do for my bow?how long do strings last? do i still need to wax the strings? yeah... alot of questions.....
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Re: Cross Bow

Postby Decim8r » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Bolt length is mainly up to you. Carbon Express makes really nice bolts and that is what I would go with. 100 or 125 is good, but 125 will add more penetration plus be sure to use Crossbow broadheads for bolts, regular arrow broadheads won't work. Whatever you do, DO NOT use an actual arrow always use a bolt to discharge the crossbow. Don't dry fire it either (as if you didn't know that already). Your standard Block target or Big Green Targets will work just fine, I personally have used the Big Green Targets since I only shoot crossbow broadheads and not field points. You will need to get some Rail lube for the rails and wax for the strings. Your string will last awhile but just continue to inspect it like you would a regular bow string. If it is starting to frey or dry rot then it would be time to replace it.
2012 Mathews Heli-M
2012 PSE Omen Pro special all Black Edition

"I'm all for Wildlife Preservation...use freezer bags!"
Decim8r
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

465.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 am

awesome, thank you! any particular rail lube or wax you recommend
?
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby Decim8r » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 pm

String Snot and Rail lube by .30-06 is the best stuff. I use it for mine and love it. Great product and easy application. Hope this helps.
2012 Mathews Heli-M
2012 PSE Omen Pro special all Black Edition

"I'm all for Wildlife Preservation...use freezer bags!"
Decim8r
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

465.00Points

Postby Hillbilly Huntin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:29 am

im using the Ghost 350 and trying out the x system by mid atlantic archery broadheads this year has anyone used them with a crossbow?
Hillbilly Huntin
Button Buck
Button Buck

72.00Points

Return to Technical Archery