Summer 10

Freshwater, Saltwater and Everything in between...

Summer 10

Postby MCO2398 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Left Florida for the British Virgin Islands four days ago. The first day we ran to Cat Cay, Bahamas. The seas were flat calm and the weather was beautiful. On Day two we ran from Cat Cay to Highbourne Cay. Again the weather was perfect for the entire run of 130+ miles. While in Highbourne we heard that the Blue Marlin were going off in Rum Cay, which is about 100 miles south. This morning at six we left for Rum to check out the fishing. Arriving near the fishing grounds around noon we put the baits out and started trolling. We saw two blue marlin and caught one about 250 pounds. Not bad for a half day and not knowing for sure where to fish. I will try to update this daily provided I have internet service. When and if I am able to take photos I will post them as well. We are filming for a TV show throughout the entire summer.
MCO2398
Button Buck
Button Buck

9.00Points

Re: Summer 10

Postby MCO2398 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Not a very good picture but, this is the boat I will be living on for the next three months
Attachments
bermuda.jpg
bermuda.jpg (61.22 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
MCO2398
Button Buck
Button Buck

9.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:07 am

nice...... sounds awesome
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby MCO2398 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:13 am

We ended up leaving Rum Cay five days after my initial post. There were a few fish on the northeast corner but it was slow. We caught one about 300 pounds and saw two more. That is not enough fish to keep us around. Aside from the slow fishing, the island itself is lacking in supplies. There grocery store is a small square building no more then 700 square feet. Inside the store one will find chips, one kind of soda, and sun dried fish that is certain make montezuma's revenge look like child's play. With slow fishing and our groceries running low we headed for Provodenciales Turks and Caicos, British West Indies. Again, the seas were calm and the weather beautiful. We pulled into Turtle Cove Marina around 3PM and cleared customs. That night we walked to a nearby restaurant and ate like we had been starved for a month. Provo is a major city considering it's location. With an international airport, countless resorts, and even a McDonald's we easily filled the boat back with supplies. We asked to local charter boat captains how the fishing had been and, of course they said it was great. For three days we trolled 8 hours each day and never saw one single fish. There was a tournament getting ready to start so we decided to wait and see what the fleet of boats could find. The tournament consisted of 10 + boats and they fished five days.At tournaments end, one boat had caught one blue marlin. Time to go! We packed up and headed for the British Virgin Islands. One stop at Ocean World in the Dominican Republic and another in San Juan, Puerto Rico and we arrived yesterday in Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda, BVI. We know what the fishing will be like here. For years the bite turns on strong around the full moon on the famed North Drop. As I type this the captain is throwing his annual fit complaining about custom's agents and the island people's lack of punctuality. Twenty minutes ago when I walked with him to the customs office we read the sign that stated OPEN AT 8:00AM. Well when the doors didn't open, the Capt. told the agent this island SUCKS!! Nothing like getting the immigrations officers mad at you right off the bat. Hopefully we will be cleared within a couple hours and we can start getting ready for two months of fishing. So long as the internet holds up I will update our fishing daily. If I can I will get some pictures as well. One question, are there enough of you interested in fishing for me to update this daily? If not I won't bother with it, I'll just post a couple pics every now and then. Let me know. ~
MCO2398
Button Buck
Button Buck

9.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 am

Man that's alot of traveling.... Not sure how well I'd do on a boat for that long, but it does sound like a good time...

Not sure about everyone else, but I'd like to read the updates as often as you'd like to post them...

Good luck out there!!
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby MCO2398 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 am

Well, we just got through clearing customs. As usual it will have the captain in a bad mood for at least a week. I never get tired of laughing at him getting mad at people for not speaking a language that he can understand. How he can think that they should send personnel down to the customs office that is fluent in english just for him is beyond me. It has been exactly like this since I can't remember. You would think he would get used to the way it is down here. We are now in the process of getting a fishing license. Once we get done with that we will be good to go. More tomorrow~
MCO2398
Button Buck
Button Buck

9.00Points

Postby adaye » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:06 pm

WOW, sounds like one heck of a vacation. I think I could do that for a summer.LOL

Post some pics when ya get a chance.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Postby MCO2398 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Fished the east side of Anagada today. Had trouble finding pretty water early, then, we found great water around 1:00PM. The ocean was alive with bait, birds, spinner dolphin and good current. Saw a small blue marlin about 200 pounds and that was it for the day. Tomorrow we will go north and see what is there
MCO2398
Button Buck
Button Buck

9.00Points

Postby MCO2398 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:52 am

Last night we went to a luau across the marina. They had a live band and all the BBQ you could eat for fifteen dollars. Surprisingly the bbq was great and so was the band. After dinner the natives put on a show where seven of them danced on stilts. That was kind of cool for the first 15 minutes. I have to say that you can only watch people jump up and down on stilts for so long before it becomes boring. Then the real show took place. There were two gypsies that traded a pyro show for free food. These people apparently live on a sailboat and just travel around trading their fire show for food. We were next to them in the food line and I would bet that neither he nor her have bathed this year. During the opener the male of the duo was taking big mouthfuls of kerosene and blowing it onto a torch. WHile doing this, he set his goatee on fire. I thought I would need oxygen I laughed so hard. As soon he was through slapping the flames out on his face the female half jumped into view swinging chains on fire. Guess what? She set her hair on fire. By now, I am down on the sand in the fetal position laughing uncontrollably. Their show lasted maybe thirty minutes with one failure after another. Today, I feel like Mike Tyson punched me in the ribs from laughing at these fools so hard. We are leaving for the North Drop in ten minutes. With a little luck I will have a fish story and pictures this evening.
MCO2398
Button Buck
Button Buck

9.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:54 am

WOW..... Sounds like some great entertainment for sure...lol
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Next