spray on scent eliminators

Have you heard about that Monster Buck that was taken last week...?? Talk about it here!!

spray on scent eliminators

Postby savvyninja » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 pm

How well does this stuff work in cloaking your scent?
savvyninja
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

303.00Points

Re: spray on scent eliminators

Postby oneshott » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:29 pm

No way to know for sure, but I won't leave home without it.
oneshott
Button Buck
Button Buck

30.00Points

Postby DylanT » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Only if you shower in it but like oneshott better showered than sorry. Or buckless.
DylanT
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

155.00Points

Postby Mark59 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:41 pm

I'd skip the spray on stuff and stick with the scent eliminating clothing like jackets and boots

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=879871
Mark59
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

156.00Points

Postby SD SHEETZ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:26 am

If it is not an enzyme based product, you are simply wasting your money. Chemical based products just introduce new smells into the woods that were not previously there. A great example is the earth scent that many companies sell. It smells nothing like the earth where I live, so it will of course alert the deer that something is wrong.

Dead Down Wind makes a great product line. You have to use an entire system of products to see any real value in scent prevention. Laundry Soap, Bath Soap, Shampoo, deodorant, field sprays all play a role in scent prevention, but it has to be a systematic approach to maximize scent elimination.
'Till Next Hunt, SD
Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em." Ted Nugent,
SD SHEETZ
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

111.00Points

Postby savvyninja » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:32 am

@SD Sheetz: have you tried such a thorough approach to scent prevention? It sounds like very tedious planning. I'm interested to hear more about your experience if you have done this first hand.
savvyninja
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

303.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 pm

savvyninja, SD Sheetz and I use the same product line. It is a tedious process if you have never done it before. But once you do it a couple times, it becomes second nature. I also leave my clothes outside to use natural ozone to kill bacteria and to have your clothes smell like the outdoors. I go through all the steps of laundry, showering, field sprays and powders, toothpaste, everything. But I also leave my clothes outside for as long as I can prior to a hunt. I feel it really does help. Last year I had a number of deer walk right under my stand so close as to spit on, coming from down wind and never spook. So it works in my opinion.

You can try whatever brands you want, but Dead Down Wind makes a solid product. Keep in mind though, if you are going to keep your clothes outside, make sure your neighbors aren't bbq'ing outside or anything like that or your efforts were for nothing. You will be smelling like a roadhouse rather than of the outdoors.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Postby Buckfever144 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Primos-Earth Blend. Find it. Use it. Scent Blocker clothing line is so overrated. To spend 220& on "scent blocking" overalls is insane. People claim the "earth blend" made by companies doesn't smell like earth? Go in your woods in late fall early winter and lift up a hunk of moist leaves and smell it, if not identical Primos Earth Blend. I wouldn't spend my money on Scent Blockers clothes anyway...
" A deer lives, and dies by its nose. "

Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag
Mossburg 500 Mossy Oak Break up 12 Gauge
Rossi .50 Cal Muzzleloader
Buckfever144
Button Buck
Button Buck

70.00Points

Postby Bowhunter60 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:05 pm

savvy,

It's important to remember that total scent elimination is an illusion and a misnomer. All we can do is strive to minimize those things that create scent foreign to the woods. That said, SD is right on when he describes the process of scent elimination. If you are serious about bringing deer in range, particularly if you bow hunt, scent elimination is absolutely critical. I get a little fanatical about minimizing my scent. When you consider a deer's sense of smell is the thing that's going to send him running without much verifying what he just got a whiff of, it makes sense. I don't see it as tedious, I see it as a challenge. When I have a deer walking up my scent cone to within bow range, I know I've done it right. Believe me, thats a thrill.

Here's what I do:

Finally, I disagree with Buckfever but hey everyone has their opinion and that's fine. Myself, I try to give myself as much of an advantage as possible.

I keep all my clothing in the scent blocker bags. I like Dead Down Wind products and Primos products. I don't wash my clothing every time I exit the field. But I do not wear my hunting clothing from the house to the field either. I don't care what the weather, I will change into my hunting clothing in the field. When I leave the field I pack my outer garments in the bags, add some leaves from the ground and seal it up.
Be Safe,

Scott
Bowhunter60

2012 Mathews Monster MR8 31" @ 65#
2009 Bear Mauler 31" @ 68#
Carbon Express Mayhem Hunters
Helix 100gr (Sizzle of Death)
TC Hawkins New Englander .50 cal
Kimber Custom II CDP and TLE w/ Rail .45 cal
Bowhunter60
Button Buck
Button Buck

117.00Points

Postby SKLancaster » Wed May 02, 2012 4:13 pm

my $.02---- there is no such thing as scent ELIMINATION... now, with that said, I firmly believe in not smelling like a zoo to the nose of a deer. I attempt to minimize my scent footprint as much as possible. Then I utilize cover / attraction scents. My thoughts are if I can get their mind on something more important (food / girly deer) then they're less focused on my strange odors.

proof on scent elimination failing- http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... neman.html
and a deers nose is supposed to be 10 times more sensitive that a dogs.
SKLancaster
Button Buck
Button Buck

24.00Points

Next

Return to Deer Hunting Facts and Rumors