Shooting tips

Need help or have Questions on Setup, How to, tuning, etc... It's all here!

Shooting tips

Postby Smitty8105 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:12 pm

I got to a very late start this year. Just got my new arrows 3 days ago, and haven't been able to shoot till today for the first time all year.

Shot 10 times at 10, 15, 20, and 30 yrds. Shot 4 arrows at a time! I didn't have to make any adjustments at all. Put on my practice broad heads also! Still no adjustment!

So i decided to get all dressed up in my hunting gear and shoot again. My jacket, gloves, mask, and hat. I also put on my practice broad heads too! And started the same process over again. With all my cloths and heads on i was pulling my shot about 2 inches to the left. Made the right adjustments and am now dead on at all my yardage!

HERE IS THE TIP: SHOOT WITH ALL YOUR GEAR ON! PRACTICE LIKE IT'S THE REAL THING! I know a lot of people already do this, but if you don't, you need to!
Smitty8105
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

103.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:16 pm

That's really important... I actually shot with my jacket on before I left for my Elk Trip and realized that the sting was hitting my jacket... I've never had this problem before, so I had to run out and get one of those sleeves to go over your jacket to avoid the issue...

You just never know what issues you may run into without practicing in real situations... And we don't need anymore opportunities for things to go wrong then we already have, believe me...haha
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby titleist_03 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:42 pm

Good advice! Along with all the gear make sure to try situations such as kneeling on both knees, one knee, sitting, and from a stand.
titleist_03
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Full Throttle Hunting » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 pm

My first few years of bowhunting I would occasionally hit a sleeve on my clothing. Now, I changed my hold. I opened my hand more toward my body and turned my wrist in, bringing my hand in and my arm out. It was a little awkward at first, but once I got used to shooting that way I have never hit my clothing even when I have 3 or 4 layers on.
Full Throttle Hunting
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

36.00Points

Postby blaust7 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:08 am

hi i am new to bow hunting and thinking about buying my buddies bow but i am not sure it is the right draw length, is there anyway to change the draw length of the bow and how it can be done. Im not sure if this is any help but the bow is a matthews dxt. help would be greatly appreciated.
blaust7
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:48 am

blaust7 wrote:hi i am new to bow hunting and thinking about buying my buddies bow but i am not sure it is the right draw length, is there anyway to change the draw length of the bow and how it can be done. Im not sure if this is any help but the bow is a matthews dxt. help would be greatly appreciated.

The only way to change the draw length on the DXT is to purchase a new Cam... These are about $80 (I think)... Fred's can get you an exact number on that... But there isnt anyway to adjust it if it isn't correct on the DXT (or most Mathews for that matter)...

Depending on how good of a deal it is, you may be better off to look around for one that is the correct size, or just get a new one...

Good Luck!! Hope you can get it worked out...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby PlaysWithFire » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Hey one of the biggest things that have helped me, is consistency! That is soooo important when it comes to shooting that favorite bow. So next time your out at the range really try to focus on just that, don’t worry about were you hit on the target. Focus on your anchor point, not pulling away from your face, holding your bow in the same spot until the arrow hits the target…O and don’t jam that trigger !

Hope this helps… !
PlaysWithFire
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby adaye » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:11 pm

Practice with your eyes closed at close range, 10 feet or closer with a large target and backstop. This will help you build muscle memory and improve form. Just concentrate on form, a clean shot and follow through.

Second, practice in the off season at distances you would not normally take shots at during a hunt. 50, 60, 70 and 80 yards or more. This forces you to follow through with the shot and helps develope good, consistent form also. Not to mention it makes that 20 and 30 yard shot easier when that big buck steps out.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Re: Shooting tips

Postby huntress » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Fantastic advice. I am transitioning from a crossbow to a compound as we speak and the process has been a little intimidating. It's always nice to hear from others about how to get started. Practicing with your gear on is genius. I suppose it's probably common sense, but I wouldn't have considered it until I was in the woods and found myself struggling.

In terms of the general muscle conditioning, I have a friend that has used the bow trainer products. I haven't tried them myself yet, but he seems pleased with the results. Might be something to try if you new to a compound bow.
huntress
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Re: Shooting tips

Postby 3DBowhunter1972 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:34 am

All good points!

For me, with my hunting bow, I like to set my draw length on the bow about 1/4 - 1/2 an inch shorter than my measured draw length. This may not sound like much to some. But it helps me work around bulky sleeves by allowing just a slight crook in my bow arm.

In the off season, I practice at distances between 60 and 80 yards, well beyond my self-determined hunting shot limit. I practice with different releases (finger trigger, thumb trigger, back tension hinge) regularly to keep from subconsciously learning how to cheat the release.

Amount amd type of practice is critical. Once your bow and pins are set, it doesn't take hundreds of shots to fix them. But it does take multple shots to set you. What I mean is how you hold, where you anchor, how you squeeze off the release, etc. one has said 'its not the bow, its the indian'. No bigger and truer statement can be said. The bow and all equipment on the bow is the easy part to set. Between our ears and in our own mechanics is the most difficult to set. Shoot enough each day until you start making errors. Then put it in the box. Go back and try it another day. If you keep on, you start reinforcing bad mistakes and training yourself with bad habits.

Quality shooting comes from quality practice!
Field Staff Representative of Bayne's Army Store, Doinker, T.R.U. Ball, Axcel, Bohning, Vapor Trail, Give Em The Shaft Archery, and Grow The Bone
3DBowhunter1972
Button Buck
Button Buck

114.00Points

Return to Technical Archery