R&D results with 2 BLADE RAGE

Discussion on Bowhunting, Share Stories and Pictures. Ask Questions and share in the knowledge of fellow Bowhunters.

R&D results with 2 BLADE RAGE

Postby adaye » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:58 pm

I thought I'd post some pics from my first hunt this season. I took the opportunity to do a little R&D with the 2 blade rage.

This is the first year I have used them. They fly great, and as you can see from the pics they open a hole up.

I am hoping to get a shot at something a little bigger to do some more research.
[img:210:240]http://www.postimage.org/aVrzAg0.jpg[/img]

[img:210:240]http://www.postimage.org/aVrzCL9.jpg[/img]
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Postby adaye » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:02 pm

The top pic is the blood trail from the second deer I shot that morning. Which happens to be to top deer in the bottom pic.

Ray Charles could following that blood trail. Though, not much need for one because the deer only went 25 yards.

The first deer I shot that morning do not go anywhere, just dropped.
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye

15.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:46 am

My brother has taken 2 deer with them this year and he said it was unreal the blood trail it left behind... Very impressive head from what I have seen...

If I can ever get some time to get in the woods, hopefully I can do some personal testing myself....haha
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby bowhntrtom » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:09 am

Keep us informed I use thunder heads and they work GREAT but I am always ready to try something that may work better.
If you always do what you have always done ,
you will always be what you have always been.
bowhntrtom
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby adaye » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:24 am

Over the years I have tried a few different broadheads myself, both fixed and expandable.

G5 Teken, Sidewinder, Rocket Steelhead, Rocket Reveloutions=expandables

Thunderhead 125,100 and 85grain, Montec, Bear and a few other fixed blades I can't remeber the name of. As far as fixed blades most of my time has been with Thunderhead. Dam fine broadhead no doubt.

All had pro's and con's from planning (particularly past 30yds.) noise in flight, penetration and entrance wound size.

My experience with the Rage 2 blade has been pretty limited but no complaints so far. My buddy has shot a couple deer with them, one a nice 8pt. and the other a doe. Both deer were down in 60yds or less. He had a pass through on the buck at 20yds. As for the doe, he did not get a pass through, which puzzled him because the angle on the 8pt. was more severe than the doe. Not to mention the buck was a much bigger deer all together. Both at same distance.

For me, both pass throughs, one at 12 yards and the other 32yards. Both small does so I want to see what I get with a large deer.

From what I have heard abouth rage I shouldn't be dissapointed.

I can say this, the entrance wound with the rage is like nothing else I have seen before. Not from a fixed or mechanical.

I have been bow hunting now for just over 20yrs. and the bottom line is, if you don't hit the right spot, you may have problems with penetration, blood trail, recovery, ect..... With fixed or mechanical.

I keep updating as season goes on. Hopefully I will get a couple deer down before to long.
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye

15.00Points

Postby 08KingRanchDude » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:29 pm

Wow, you smoked those two! Congrats, I havent shot anything with my Rages yet.....
08KingRanchDude
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Full Throttle Hunting » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:03 am

I'm trying the Rage this year. I've been using a broadhead called the Gator XP made by rocky mountain. Its basically the same broadhead (design and cut width) with the only difference being design of the rear deployed blades. I killed several deer with it and loved field point accuracy. The only down side to a 2-blade is a clot can close the hole a lot easier. I double lunged my buck last year at 25 yards. He ran about 300 yards, Most of which was across an open field so it saved a lot of time tracking. But finding blood on the other side of the field was pretty spotty and I thought I lost him. There was no blood within probably 20 yards of him and he was just over a rise. I'm not trying to slam this broadhead. I plan on using them for a long time, I just want to inform everyone that a clot could happen and don't give up on tracking any deer you hit, because even though the blood may not be there, its hard to survive a 2" hole.
Full Throttle Hunting
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

36.00Points

Postby adaye » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Did a little more R&D Sat. morning. Doe went about 50 yards after she was hit.

I will say, I have never seen a wound like this come from a broadhead.
Sorry about the graphic nature of the pic, but Research is Research. HAAAA...

By the way, I donated this deer, so its my first donation of the year. Hoping to have a few more before it all said and done.

[img:210:240]http://www.postimage.org/aV17EM8i.jpg[/img]
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye

15.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:11 am

OMG... That is Insane... I can't believe those things are making that kind of hole... I also can't believe that deer ran 50 yards after that....

WOW... I can't see how you can argue with that...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby bowhntrtom » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:53 am

WOW that was from a two blade broad head you may have made a believer out of me. I think I may try some R&D of my own with them. Thanks
If you always do what you have always done ,
you will always be what you have always been.
bowhntrtom
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Next

Return to Bowhunting