Pro Questions...

Ask A Professional Hunter...

Postby whitetail2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:58 am

Ellis, I agree with you 100%. Which leads me to my next question, just what or who declares you a "Pro"??
You know I only know of one true "Pro", in my book. He is a quite soft spoken man, that some of you may have heard of. His name is John Hale, from Sullivan Co., Indiana.
Here is a man who has taken nothing less than a Pope and Young deer as far back as I can remember. He hunts only free ranging wild whitetails, does all his own scouting, ect... At one time he was featured in a book, the name of which escapes me now, as one of the top 20 whitetail hunters in the country. To make his accomplishments even more amazing, he does it with primitive equipment he makes himself. He builds some of the most beautiful long bows I have ever seen, as well as back quivers, arm guards, ect... To me this should be the defintion of a true pro, a man or woman, who does the majority of hunting on ther own and not lead by the hand to the killing field.

Back to your video, I can't wait to see it. If there is anything that we members of this board can do to help you, I'm sure the rest will agree, we will be more than happy to lend a hand. When you get it done please reserve me a copy, I have this feeling it will be something special.
A sharp broadhead is a bowhunters best friend
HuntOnly Pro Staff
NRA Life Member
whitetail2
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Ellis Outdoor Productions » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:59 am

i would have to say the hunting industry is who deams them a pro. i might be wrong but these companies are paying someone to endorse their product and therefore whoever they are endorsing is gonna be a pro whether they know what their doing or not. u know these big outdoor production companies dont have to pay anything to hunt. the outfitters and what have u invite them to hunt to advertise their place. i think it stupid to go and pay 5,000 to 20,000 dollars just to go and hunt a well known place. it would be nice to go hunt some of these places but how do u put a price tag on a deer. it's a living breathing animal that god created. kinda got of track there. back to the pro thing. ive never heard of john hale that i can recall. although im still a youngster at 22 i havent been around as long as some people on here. although with the info u just gave me about him, i would have to say that that is a true pro hunter. as for the video i have no clue when i will have it done, but i will make sure i set u a copy aside. right now i work full time as a diesel tech on 2nd shift. the only times i get to hunt are on my days off and an occasional mornin that i get of work come home get my stuff ready and head to the woods, then straight back to work. another problem i have is that im hunting and filming by myself which is hard. i could have had alot of good footage so far this year if i would have had a cameraman. but thats part of it. ive asked some friends around here if they would like to go in with me on this and start a company on the side and build it. they say yes but they dont want to run the camera. they wanna be the hunter not the cameraman. i dont mind gettin behind the camera for someone at all. but the only way its gonna work out is if both of u switch up every other time. one runs the camera one day then the other runs the camera the next. it's not that hard its just finding someone thats willing to do it. i have alot of great ideas on gettin this thing goin its just tryin to find someone thats willing to work with me. another thing is cost. i can only afford so much right now. i pay bills just like everyone does. i buy one thing at a time when i can afford it. i have a pretty decent camera that will help me produce a couple videos until the company is built up enough to afford a better one. then im gonna have to buy a seperate computer later on down the road just for editing the video. the computer im looking at buying is about 1,300 dollars. its just gonna take time and a business partner. i know i can do it but its just gonna take time. i wish i could quit working and just work on building a outdoor production company. i dont even know if im gonna use the name i am currently using or not. i have a few logos on the drawing board but like i say i want a business partner to help me make these decisions.
Ellis Outdoor Productions
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby the restles hunter » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:40 pm

i always wonder if regular hunters ever get endorsements i think that would be cool for an avearge joe could get endorsed not just some big shot hunter man with his own tv show and somebody to clean the animal for them
FIELD JOURNALIST
IRONWOOD EAGLES FOOTBALL

Hoyt '05 Pro Tec

"BAD APPLE CLUB"
the restles hunter
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:16 pm

Check out the Campbell Outdoor challenge - its average joe's who either pay out of their own pockets or get sponsorship - just google them - they also have a show on the outdoor channel.
Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life.

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Spike » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:34 pm

I have been having trouble getting my first deer with a bow. Was your first deer the hardest to get with a bow?
Spike
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Its a learning process - you have to figure out what works - it was alot harder for me to get my first deer with a bow than it was with a rifle - and is still hard. Thats the magic of bowhunting, if it was easy everyone would do it. Hang in there - you will connect. Good luck
Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life.

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Evotek » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:50 pm

Spike,

I think you have asked a perfectly valid question. Now my first deer wasn't entirely too difficult, but simply becaused I had an incedible guide, My dad. You can only hope that they are all difficult. It's like that saying "Is the juice worth the squeeze?", well usually the more difficult the hunt, the more I enjoy it. If you keep hunting then your going to get into some truly hard hunts. If you prepare for success you will experience success.

Remember this "With great sacrifice comes great reward". My best advice to anyone is this. On your next hunt don't look at it like a vaction, you can rest when you get back to work. Hunt hard, if it aint working then your not hunting hard enough. You won't kill that big buck while you are eating lunch at camp. Remember to do what ever it takes to stay after the game you pursue and be prepared to capitalize when they make a mistake. Relentless Pursuit should best sum it up.
Evotek pro-staff,Scent-lok pro-staff,Double BullArchery pro-staff,Hunting Science pro-staff,Easton pro-staff
Producer Dream Chasers Outdoors

http://www.livehunt.com/Truhuntr
http://www.myspace.com/Evotekbows
Evotek
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Pro-Hunters??

Postby Zemenar » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:29 pm

Those "pros" you watch on TV do not know the fist thing about hunting!
They should call the shows"Baiting with Joe Smith"!
Send a couple up to Pa.,I'll turn them lose in the woods and watch them come back in whineing there is nothing to shoot!! :egrin:
Zemenar
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby the restles hunter » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:09 pm

ok zem but would you want to watch shows where the people never shot anything i dont think so it owuld be boring and allot of them are not over bait feeders they are over fields or established and scouted trails
FIELD JOURNALIST
IRONWOOD EAGLES FOOTBALL

Hoyt '05 Pro Tec

"BAD APPLE CLUB"
the restles hunter
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby buckfever » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:36 pm

Yeah I believe some of them actually are good hunters
T-Briggs Huntonly Prostaff / Field Editor

Matthews Switchback