Michgian Crossbow bill

Post any info you have on New Laws being passed that will help or Hurt our Sport and details on who needs to be contacted accordingly... This is Important...

Michgian Crossbow bill

Postby Smitty8105 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Michigan Legislature to vote on Crossbow Bill.

A bill that would provide for the inclusion of crossbows during Michigan’ s archery hunting seasons (HB5741) is currently under consideration by the House Committee on Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources and is expected to be brought before the entire House of Representatives in the immediate future.

If you are supportive of eliminating the overly restrictive requirements involved in obtaining a crossbow permit and for allowing Michigan hunters freedom of choice regarding what sort of bow they choose to hunt with during archery season then we encourage you to contact your Representative and urge them to support the passage of this bill (HB 5741)

Here is a link to find out your Representative’s e-mail address. Please include your name and address on any correspondence that you send them.

http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

UPDATE: The Bill passed out of Committee, and the House, now on to the Senate!
Smitty8105
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

103.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 am

They just made part of Maryland's Archery season open for Crossbows... I think it's 2 weeks in October or something like that...

I dont really feel it's the same as regular archery and don't think it should be wide open for everyone during the entire archery season... But I do think people should have the opportunity to use one if they so desire... And of course if you are unable to draw a normal bow, then you should be allowed to hunt with a crossbow...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby Smitty8105 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:29 am

Well here in Michigan if you are disabled you can get a permit to use a crossbow! My father is disabled from a stroke, so he uses the crossbow. But if this bill passes anyone can use a crossbow during the entire archery season. I don't think i will use one, but i know there are alot of people that will want to!
Smitty8105
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

103.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:03 pm

Yeah thats how it works here as well... Anyone disabled can use one anytime... Which I think is great...

Not sure I agree with letting everyone use them the entire archery season...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby Smitty8105 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:23 pm

I kinda don't agree with it either, but on the other hand kids can now bow hunt at 10yrs old now. And at 10 not alot of kids can pull a bow back enough to kill an animal! So in that aspect it's a great decision. My boys will probable hunt with a crossbow for the first few years till there bow skills get better
Smitty8105
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

103.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:45 am

Yeah I guess that is kind of the same thing as being disabled in some fashion...

As long as kids are taught well from an early age and have practiced enough, I dont see why they couldn't hunt that early and if a Crossbow enables that, then I'd be ok with it...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Return to Hunting Laws and Protecting our Sport