help me choose my shotgun

General Discussion on all aspects of Deer Hunting, scrapes, rubs, scoring, treestand placement, tracking.

help me choose my shotgun

Postby Zellnerz » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 pm

here in illinois we arent allowed to use rifles, only shotguns firing slugs, and ive been using a pump for a couple years now, btu now im plannign on switchign to an autoloader

i wont be able to have it for this season, starts 2 weeks from last friday, then the end of november, start of december, so im plannign on saving up to buy it hopefully early next year so money isnt too much of an issue

i need it to be an auto, rifled barrel, been looking at the Browning Gold, Benelli Super Black Eagle 2, or the Winchester Super X3

id also like to find a thumbhole stock for it, and i cant find any anywhere for the SBE2, so im leaning more towards the Browning

any suggestions
Zellnerz
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Hey man!

Postby GiLLiGaNN » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:49 am

I recommend you just get a Remington 870 Express. They are an all-around weapon and are cheap. Dont let anyone tell you they can get the job done, because I have a 15 point Non-Typical on my wall that says otherwise! Good Look In the Woods!
GiLLiGaNN
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby Zellnerz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:59 am

the 870 is cheap (350), but . . . its a pump, ive already got a pump (winchester 1300) and ive used that for a couple years now, i want to switch to an autoloader, Remington has an autoloader, the 11-87, and that cost about $800
Zellnerz
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby whitetail2 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:16 am

Don't know why you need an autoloader, for slug hunting. It only takes one shot to kill a deer. I have always used pumps and single shots. Everytime I hear an auto being used, you can bet money on the outcome. Half a dozen shots later, and that deer is still running.....
A sharp broadhead is a bowhunters best friend
HuntOnly Pro Staff
NRA Life Member
whitetail2
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Zellnerz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:29 am

that isnt true, i think my dad shoots one, he has an old remington(dont even make the model anymore) and that thing is pretty accurate

not to mention, the first shot is the same whether or not you have a pump or auto, you still aim, but the chance of having to have a follow up shot still exists, and you can get back on target quicker and easier with an auto

also illinois law limits your shotgun to being able to fire only 3 shots without reloading

we really dont see to many big deer around here either, because they all tend to be in the forest preserves, which are closed to huntign, so we take what we can get, so if that means trying to get 2 deer out of a herd, which they are durign our shotugn season normally, then we go for it, and when youre trying to get 2 ont eh last day of the season to have some venison for the year, and you see a herd, that first shot is easy, but then that 2nd shot to get the 2nd deer, is harder, and with the auto, as i said, you cna get back on target quicker, and not have to worry about having to pump

besides, sometimes in the excitement of the moment, you never knwo when youll accidentally forget to pump
Zellnerz
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby Zellnerz » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:37 am

ive never done it, but i know someone who has
Zellnerz
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Hey!

Postby GiLLiGaNN » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:11 am

Basically what we are trying to tell you is that you dont need to an autoloader for deer season. Its just not worth it. A good hunter takes one shot.
GiLLiGaNN
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby GONEPHISHIN1215 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:29 am

yeah bud i agree for deer hunting an auto loader is a waste of your money. save that money up and spend it on some good scent lock camo or a nice bow or something productive. u can get sooo much more for you money if you use it on something else. BUT... if your truley set on an auto loader i would go with the 11-87. remington is the sure bet. also another thing to think about with an autoloader its just another thing to malfunction on you with a buck of a lifetime in front of u. just my thoughts but good luck.

Rob
GONEPHISHIN1215
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Re: help me choose my shotgun

Postby AlyRabin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:01 am

For those who enjoy shooting the best shotgun to use can vary wildly. An old AYA hand me down, a beautifully engraved action, something to knock the archangels out of the sky, or shorter barrels that are in plentiful supply through the auction houses. The shooting world is as full of different shotguns as it is opinion on what ranks most highly.
Read more at http://www.thefield.co.uk/features/the- ... ZpM101P.99
AlyRabin
Button Buck
Button Buck

3.00Points

Return to General Hunting