New to hunting geese need help!

Waterfowl Hunting, Ducks, Geese, Blinds, Boats, Shotguns, anything to do with Waterfowl here.

New to hunting geese need help!

Postby Whitetail hunter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Me and my bro have tried hunting geese the past couple years but haven't had much success. We were usually just sneaking up to the dugout and taking shots at the geese but we would like to learn how to wait for them and call them in. I know of lots of dugouts right by my house that geese go to all the time. We only have a ground blind and about half a dozen canada geese decoys but we haven't really used the decoys yet. i have a double cluck goose call too. But we don't really know where to go from here. If we hide in the ground blind near the dugout where the geese come and call when we see a flock of geese can we make it work? What should we do? and tips would be very thankful!
Whitetail hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

69.00Points

Re: New to hunting geese need help!

Postby sqwrly » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:24 pm

it could work just make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME and blend in the ground blind really well with the surroundings. get out there before you know they're flying in set the decoys up and get in the blind and wait. when you see them fly or here them near start calling. practice practice practice
mathews DXT 25" 65#
Parker extreme ultra-lite 31 24" 70#
Benelli Nova 24" barrel 3 1/2 inch
Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 Cal
CVA Wolf .50 cal
sqwrly
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

93.00Points

Postby savvyninja » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:34 pm

What kind of call are you using? I suggest the Primos Big Easy goose call. It's easy to use and disassemble.
savvyninja
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

303.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:29 pm

Ok, where do I start. If you are new to goose calling, I wouldn't recommend using it out in the field until you can at least make a simple cluck with the call well. Once you can make a few different notes well, then you can prob use it out in the field. If you are hunting in a spot where the geese are already coming consistantly, then I wouldn't do much to change that. I wouldn't put out decoys, I wouldn't call, I wouldn't do anything but be there and be well blended in with your surroundings. Why put more variables into something where it is already producing geese.

I would also recommend that if the geese are just flying past, but low, then use your decoys. Put them out in a way that makes them look at ease and not spooked by anything. This would entail spreading the decoys out a bunch so that they are not real close together. Make the decoys look as comfy and natural as possible.

As far as everything else you posted, like ninja said, take your time, don't rush your shots, and don't do anything to ruin a good thing. If they are flying in without you calling, don't call. Let them come. Calling can either be your last nail in the coffin or your worst enemy. Same with everything else you may put out there. Just focus on what the geese are doing. They are the ones that are going to tell you what they want. Not the other way around. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Return to Waterfowl Hunting