Longbow vs Compound

Traditional Bow-Talk Here!

Longbow vs Compound

Postby savvyninja » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:25 am

I love the idea of using a traditional longbow rather than a modern compound for no other reason than it looks cool. Modern day Robin Hood...But I'm not an archer. Still, I would like to hear what real bowmen think about traditional vs modern archery.
savvyninja
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

303.00Points

Re: Longbow vs Compound

Postby Mark59 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:27 pm

I prefer longbow, but either one you decide you can get for real cheap in the holiday sales a lot of sites are running

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/archery.aspx?c=8
Mark59
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

156.00Points

Postby Mark59 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:45 am

Savvy did you ever decide? I just found a nice PSE Legacy longbow for pretty cheap figured I'd pass it along

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/pse-legacy-right-hand-longbow.aspx?a=586359
Mark59
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

156.00Points

Postby 3DBowhunter1972 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:45 pm

I am a compound shooter and have been for a long time. However, I have always admired the traditional shooters and their passion for the Recurve and Long Bows. Ive shot a few over the years, and would love to learn how to shoot traditional better.
Field Staff Representative of Bayne's Army Store, Doinker, T.R.U. Ball, Axcel, Bohning, Vapor Trail, Give Em The Shaft Archery, and Grow The Bone
3DBowhunter1972
Button Buck
Button Buck

114.00Points

Postby Decim8r » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:38 pm

I grew up shooting traditional bows and was not allowed to move into the modern compound bow until I could afford my own compound bow. I still dabble in traditional archery just because of the history of traditional archery. Legends like Fred Bear and how well they were able to be successful with traditional archery. I find it amazing on how fun it is to still shoot like they did in the old days. I think you find it easier than what you might expect. Yes there is a lot of hand/eye coordination but in the end it is a blast to just shoot.
2012 Mathews Heli-M
2012 PSE Omen Pro special all Black Edition

"I'm all for Wildlife Preservation...use freezer bags!"
Decim8r
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

465.00Points

Postby savvyninja » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:40 am

With the amount of archery equipment today I'm overwhelmed with how automatic bowing is becoming. It's similar to shooting a gun and young bow hunters are not developing the hand-eye coordination necessary to become a great bow hunter. Thanks for the Fred Bear reference. I ended up watching some video clips of his show. Awesome stuff.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife
you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself
in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better
person." - Fred Bear
savvyninja
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

303.00Points

Postby Decim8r » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 am

Fred Bear is one of the greatest archers and hunters of all time. With new technology and improved archery equipment of today, it does seem like it is becoming more automatic but I feel differently. I think that it still takes skill and tons of practice to even be able to shoot acurately. Although, I do think that you are right on that newer archers are not receiving the same experience due to the fact that technology has changed the sport. Even though that archery equipment is always improving there is still room for improvement just like you will not always shoot bullseyes all the time. I have been shooting both archery and firearms for a long time and I am constantly learning something new all the time.

I appreciate the Fred Bear quote and feel that we should all still live up to this. It will make us a much better bow hunter. Thanks again.
2012 Mathews Heli-M
2012 PSE Omen Pro special all Black Edition

"I'm all for Wildlife Preservation...use freezer bags!"
Decim8r
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

465.00Points

Return to Traditional Archery