Teach me to call Geese...

Waterfowl Hunting, Ducks, Geese, Blinds, Boats, Shotguns, anything to do with Waterfowl here.

Teach me to call Geese...

Postby SJohnson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 am

Ok, so I have a call Follies Short Reed something... Maybe called a "Straight Meat" but I could be completely off on all that... I do know its a short reed...

I can honk and I can cluck and I can cluck a few times in a row using my hand to sound like maybe 2 birds at best...

What is the secret to getting it a little faster back and forth to get the sound of more birds..? What do you say into the call to get the different sounds..?

I've been practicing and its coming together but I could use some pointers, tips, tricks...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Re: Teach me to call Geese...

Postby SJohnson » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:34 am

Another piece to this is I have turned flocks and get them headed my way, but then I lose them somehow... The clucks that turn them and get them headed my way don't keep them coming...

So what's the next step once I have them headed my way..?
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby cut_un » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:01 pm

My advice to you is to get you a copy of the DVD ,Bad Grammer by Scott Threinen, He will walk you thru how to buys the right call to how to make every sound a Canada goose can make. The boy is good... Far better than I could explain :Laughing:
Chasin Feathers! A sporting way of life

Enjoy the Journey
&
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!!
cut_un
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:07 pm

It is hard to explain over the computer. But I will do my best to help.

From what I have heard from others and making the same mistakes back in the day when it comes to geese trailing off after you have turned them is that you are giving them all you got when they turn. That is a big no no. Once you have them turned, they have keyed into your calling, that means you have to lighten up on the calling and start making sounds that sound pleasant and content. (from numerous sources, when you are calling hard, you are actually telling geese to go away)

I will say this though, if you can cluck and moan, you are set. Just cause you hear these competition callers blaring into their calls sounding like a million geese, I have called in countless 5-10 yard double kills and triple kills by just single clucks and moans. It is all what the geese WANT to hear. That is where the experience comes in, in order to recognize what the geese want. But experiment. That is the only way to mentally make notes on what works and what doesn't.

Another tip is that when the geese are flying at you, they can pinpoint where the calling is coming from. That means you should lighten up on it bigtime. If they are facing away from you, give them a little more volume and speed to get them interested again.

As far as getting you to sound like a lot of geese, that would take private instruction. Maybe one of these days we can get together and I can show you a couple things. It is all about backpressure and tongue position.

I am sure you will have a couple questions as to what I have written, but that is what this is here for. Ask away.

P.S. Cut_un is right about that dvd. Very good. Sean Mann's dvd is pretty good too for basic stuff. Hope this helps a bit.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Postby cut_un » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Brother, notall that hard to call geese, ,if you are on the X,have a pretty convincing spread of decoys, if ya got em turned you way, back off the calling and let the decoys work their magic. A little clucking should put em on the ground. As stated, you may be blowing em out of you spread, may need to soften up on your calling. Most of the calling you hear these days is more for the "contest callers",don't get me wrong, it is goosey and It does sound good,in general real geese do not make all that noice. One rule of thumb to consider, the more decoys you put out.... the more geese you and your party have to sound like.
Last edited by cut_un on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chasin Feathers! A sporting way of life

Enjoy the Journey
&
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!!
cut_un
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby titleist_03 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:38 pm

I'm still in the learning process myself. I started with a Foiles Strait Meat Honker. Very easy call to blow. Takes virtually no back pressure and can do everything you need to do to kill geese. I just picked up the Bad Grammar DVD and my calling has grown leaps and bounds in just a few months. I've since ditched the SMH and now am blowing a Tim Ground Super Thang and a GK Canuck. The Ground call takes insane amounts of air and perfect hand placement to blow. A far difference from what I started on but the sound it produces sounds much more goosey to me. It also has more range top to bottom. The Canuck is kind of a middle ground between the two. Great sound, but not as much air required.

I'm fortunate enough to tag along with a great goose caller and have sat back and taken everything in while hunting with him the last two years. Countless questions and practice later, I'm ready to participate in the calling this coming year. If you have an experienced caller you can get in touch with, I'd do so. Pick their brain! Even better, find a couple people. Everyone has differing opinions. What works one day won't work the next so it's best to have a couple plans of attack.

Like others have said the cluck and moan will kill geese. Once you get them turned and headed your way get into softer ground work and call sparingly. When they start to lose interest get more aggressive. Reading the birds is very important!
titleist_03
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Mark59 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Make sure you have a good quality reliable goose call...all the tips and tricks in the world won't work if you can' t get the call out!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/hunters-specialties-goose-guide-series-call.aspx?a=368964
Mark59
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

156.00Points

Return to Waterfowl Hunting