Ground Blinds

General Discussion on all aspects of Deer Hunting, scrapes, rubs, scoring, treestand placement, tracking.

Re: Ground Blinds

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:26 pm

I am interested in getting a ground blind but I don't want to spend a whole lot of money. What would be some options?
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:05 pm

shoot thru mesh,and large windows, and something tall enough for you to sit, then got from a your chair to your knees raise your bow to fire. honestly i bought my lil chair first set it up in my living room so i know the dimensions that i would need of the blind. i also got a carbon lined blind, to help with odor control... i dont know if it works... but i figured it cant hurt.... i spend about 120 total... i think dicks has a one similar for 99 on sale this week. i found mine on e-bay after about 3 weeks of searching. anyways... my 2 cents.... if you want i will show it to ya next time we hunt.... also mine is a hub style, takes about a min to set up so its fast.....
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:26 am

I used one last season for the first time. I bought one from Walmart for about $60 and set it up near one of my feeders and left it for the deer to become acclimated to. After a few weeks, I spent a couple of hours freezing in a ladder stand before succumbing to the cold and climbing in the blind. Sitting in my nylon folding chair I was nice and cozy with a great view all around. At some point, I looked up through one of the mesh windows Imageand was face to face with an eight point that was staring at me through the mesh from about 30 yds. I slowly and carefully picked up my rifle, aimed, and shot the buck who never flinched as I maneuvered inside my warm, cozy, blind.Image

The "shoot through" mesh windows are only good for one shot when the muzzle of your .270 is pressed against it, but the panels are replaceable- velcroing into place.

I will caution you that if you open all of the windows, you can see silhouette movement inside when you have an open flap behind you.

During a turkey hunt, with two full grown men in the blind :Rolling Eyes: , we had two does feed up within two yards of us, peering into the windows while I tried to video them from inside. Unfortunately, my camera (DroidX) was focused on the mesh and not on the deer so the video was poor.

Anyway, thumbs up for this method of concealment!
RickD
Button Buck
Button Buck

129.00Points

Postby RickD » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:31 am

Update: I have been sitting in this same blind this week during early archery season. It is a little more cramped for shooting a bow, but I have found that if I face my chair, crammed in the corner, 90* to the open flap (no mesh), I can draw the bow while sitting and comfortable shoot across the entire side of the blind. With the big flap open, I keep the others sealed shut with small slits to peer through to keep the light inside to a minimum.

Rick
RickD
Button Buck
Button Buck

129.00Points

Postby Mark59 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:46 pm

I do, I use a leafy hybrid blind. I posted it below for reference. Get great results too, not sure if that's from the blind or I'm just that awesome of a hunter :Laughing:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=864871
Mark59
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

156.00Points

Postby savvyninja » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:21 pm

I paid $80 for my ground blind by Guide Gear. It goes up quickly like opening an umbrella and the shell is made with a scent-containing agent. It's sturdy material and very portable.
savvyninja
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

303.00Points

Previous

Return to General Hunting