How to get my wife to bowhunt

Forum for Women in the Hunting World, Welcome to All...

How to get my wife to bowhunt

Postby Brit80 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Any tips on getting my wife to start bowhunting with me?? I can tell her why I love it and what is so great about it but maybe I think hearing about it from other women may be better...
Brit80
Button Buck
Button Buck

24.00Points

Re: How to get my wife to bowhunt

Postby Cat » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Hi Brit80! I'm assuming your wife doesn't hunt at all now - and not that she hunts with gun, and you're wanting to encourage her to pick up a bow? Does she like the outdoors, but just doesn't hunt?

I don't know if I can answer "how do I get my wife to bowhunt", but I can tell you how I started hunting with my husband, and why I picked up bow hunting three years ago.

My husband has always been a hunter, and although I've known him for more than 30 years, I only stated hunting with him about twenty years ago. I call my husband an outdoorsman - if it's something outside, he'll do it. Hunt, fish, water ski, snow ski, kayak, boat, camp, bicycle, etc. Even though I grew up a city girl, I enjoy the outdoors as well. We would primitive camp back when we were young (and didn't need a mattress), and I love to fish (well, catch). At first, I didn't really "hunt"; I'd ride with him in the truck (dog hunting), or sit with him in a stand, and really enjoying nature at it's finest.

Probably five years of that, and my husband bought me a used rifle. We had the stock cut down so it would fit me better. Added a softer/thicker butt pad. And then he taught me how to shoot. It was a very sweet gun - not one of his HUGE guns, that was awkward for me - but truly a gun for me. We spent a year target shooting, and it just naturally progressed to hunting. I didn't sit in a stand and shoot at anything by myself for another couple years.

I've since upgraded to a nicer & newer rifle, I own a shotgun (for turkey hunting), and a muzzle loader too. And three years ago I bought a cross-bow.

My husband bow hunted, and I picked up bow hunting because I couldn't stand the wait for gun season to get into my stand. Bow season is really the best time to see the nicest deer.

Obviously, hunting isn't for everyone - and, for me, it wasn't an overnight transition.

Not sure any of this will help, but feel free to ask questions.
Cat
Button Buck
Button Buck

6.00Points

Postby SD SHEETZ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 am

take your wife out and let heer shoot a crossbow, it is easy to shoot, and if she finds it relaxing, it could be just the ticket to get her in the woods.
'Till Next Hunt, SD
Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em." Ted Nugent,
SD SHEETZ
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

111.00Points

Postby Brit80 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:30 am

Yea I guess I gotta start her out shooting the crossbow and seeing how she likes it... only thing is is that I tried to do the same thing with golf (took her to the driving range) she got so frustrated not being able to hit the ball and now she wants nothing to do with it... haha I hope it works this time
Brit80
Button Buck
Button Buck

24.00Points

Return to Women Hunters