What is your method for calling coyotes?

Everything Predator...

What is your method for calling coyotes?

Postby Full Throttle Hunting » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 am

I usually like to set up in a fence row or tree out in the open. Maybe 2 yards from the brush and be able to see 360 degrees. I typically set a decoy out at about 50 yards to draw attention from me and I use the Johnny Stewart electronic Caller. I haven't really found the magic sequence for drawing them in with this call, but I would say that they like the rodent in distress because I have called in several to it. I have mixed it up, calling continuously and calling and spurts and not seen much of a difference in results.
Full Throttle Hunting
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

36.00Points

Postby adaye » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:27 pm

I personally have never hunted yotes. We don't have any in my area.

But I have read a few articles and the number one thing they mention is the wind. Yotes seem to circle down wind about everytime so setting up so you can watch the down wind area is key.

I've also read that yotes may respond better to other yote calls. These calls may change depending on the time of year. During breading seasons female invitation and challange calls may be the trick. Hunters will make a couple invitation calls then wait a few minutes before trying again.

They say for both yotes and fox that each set should last about 10 to 15 minutes then move to the next location. For bobcats, call up to 45 mins. sense cats will take there time coming to a call.

One other thing I've seen on a couple predator hunting videos are far as coyotes go. Once the caller has spotted a coyote that is coming to a coyote call they will many times finish the yote up with a lip squeeck or rodent distress call or use it on yotes that hang up.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Re: What is your method for calling coyotes?

Postby cuppedwings » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 am

I have also read that the lip squeak is the deadliest of them all. Haven't had any success personally,but I am not in a heavy yote area. I do try though!! What do you guys think is the best of the electronic calls? I have a JS and haven't had any luck. The foxpro are pricey but seem to be the "cadilac" of the callers. I did sell a Prairie Blaster to a customer overseas and it seemed to be the cats meow. Loved the decoy on it,it seems like it would help keep them from seeing you.
visit us at www.milonajoenterprises.com use coupon code HuntOnly for special HuntOnly.com savings
cuppedwings
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Mark59 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Predator calling scents can help. Stuff like "scent eliminators" are usually crocks but the actual scent callers work real well.

here's example
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=826611
Mark59
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

156.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm

i use to hunt them id set up in a bush. and set up a string from another bush about 25 yds away. i would pull the string and shake the bush and hit up a screaming rabbit call. i generally set up so the bush was on my right and id be facing downwind. but i would have 360 view. tagged a few.
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Return to Predator Hunting