New Shed Information!

Have you heard about that Monster Buck that was taken last week...?? Talk about it here!!

New Shed Information!

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Ok, I am frustrated with not finding any sheds yet as I am sure there are others. Opposite to us, there are some that are finding a bunch. Let me give you a little bit of information on what happens when deer shed their antlers and why. This might help you understand why things are the way they are right now.

Right underneath the antler burr is something called osteoclasts for which the antler separates from the skull when shedding is taking place. Deer shed their antlers when their testosterone levels are decreased. The osteoclasts then take calcium from the antlers causing the bone to weaken and become chambered and pourous making the antlers easy to come off.

Since the rut was really patchy throughout the season this year where I hunted (Northern VA and lots of Maryland) this could explain why some deer still have their antlers. Their testosterone levels still may be at a level in which the osteoclasts have not absorbed a lot of the calcium from the antlers. Plus, from some hearsay information, there was still rutting activity all the way through February and into this month! This could mean that antler sheds might not be present for another couple weeks. Just keep that in mind.

Hope this helps.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Re: New Shed Information!

Postby SJohnson » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:25 am

I have really struggled finding them, thats for sure... Going to take a walk today to another area... Some guys (like you said) have found quite a few, but I think also for the amount of effort that have put in, maybe they too are below average... Still takes a little luck and I may have used up a good portion of mine during the hunting season this year...hahaha
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby Smoke1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:46 am

I agree with the time spent looking for shed theory, I've averaged between 15-20 per year over the past few years. You definitely learn where to look but luck and time spent looking play a big part of it. I shed hunt to get some exercise and to kill time until turkey season comes in. Here are a couple of motivational pics to get everyone out looking. The first is a set (12 Point) from this year, and the second are a few from this year and the past few years. I display them in a basket in my hunting room. The basket was over flowing so I sorted out some of the better ones for display and put the rest in storage, I've been looking for ways to display them but really haven't found much so far. I would like to find someone who makes chandeliers and have them make one from all the sheds I've found. I'm not to hand when it comes to making things.
Attachments
Sheds for the Web.JPG
Sheds for the Web.JPG (197.9 KiB) Viewed 981 times
12 Point Shed Set for the Web.JPG
12 Point Shed Set for the Web.JPG (108.51 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Smoke1
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

63.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:32 pm

Well you sure have a great collection. I would love to have something like that. I am sure I will someday. I guess I am just looking in the wrong places. Who knows. Great pictures though. And nice twelve point! Good luck come turkey.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic

306.00Points

Postby Poppy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:29 pm

Nice collection! the best way to find sheds, plow a field with new tires on your tractor. I find if I do that I will ALWAYS run over one and punch a big hole in the tire and tube. :angry:
Poppy
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

66.00Points

Return to Deer Hunting Facts and Rumors