Does it matter what kind of corn plot you use

Any questions or Information you have about Food Plots...

Does it matter what kind of corn plot you use

Postby GotHuntingGear » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:20 pm

I have some farm land and we put up corn for our cattle. We try to get the corn seed that gives us the most stalk for the green silage part. What kind of corn should a guy put in if he wants to start a corn plot for deer? Can I use the same corn that I use for my cattle?
GotHuntingGear
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Re: Does it matter what kind of corn plot you use

Postby savingyour6 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:08 am

Im not a farmer, nor have I planted corn in mass amounts, but as a deer hunter iv seen deer in all sorts of corn fields in all parts of the country. I really don't know if it maters to them so long as they can reach the cobb to eat it. Now maybe if there was a field ov sweet silverqueen corn on one side and feed corn on the other it might make a difference. But I dunno if it will if your just planting a food plot for them. However I think id rather go with oats, clover, or some of the other seed mixes out there. Unless your harvesting the corn to sell or to use later down the season.
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby GotHuntingGear » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:57 am

Ya, I guess your right. As long as there is some kind of feed to eat they will eat it. I guess I wasn't sure if there was one in particular to bait them in more.
GotHuntingGear
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby Ladybowhunter » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:16 pm

You can use the same kind...They will come to it and feed...
Ladybowhunter
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Return to Food Plots