Field Dressing a deer

Forum for Women in the Hunting World, Welcome to All...

Field Dressing a deer

Postby mamabear » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:52 pm

Anyone have an suggestions on how to do it fast and effective? I am not a hunter, too many kids to be doing that right now. But I have help gut twice so far and would like to know suggestions on how you all do it, if there is a tool you use for the colon, how far do you cut up(through chest or not). I am not a squeamish person so don't worry about typing how it is. If this is not the section for this please let me know where I should go to ask this. Thank you.
mamabear
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby Dodgem250 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:53 am

The best thing for you to do is tag along with something who has the experience and is in the right situation. I have a sister in law who is now awaiting my call for her first opportunity to see "what it is really all about" when it comes to the process, she wants to see the whole process right from when the knife comes out of the sheath.
Dodgem250
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

6.00Points

Re: Field Dressing a deer

Postby Poppy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:09 pm

good advice, also there are several good videos and books that cover this subject.
Poppy
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

66.00Points

Postby MidnightAngel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:44 pm

I've never field dressed a deer myself, I usually help, but the hubby does it. I guess after all of these years of watching him I could, but I just let him do it. But there are several good books and articles online and off about it. Good Luck!
MidnightAngel
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:05 am

Field dressing a deer is quite simple. Here is a quick breakdown. Roll the deer over on its back. Use you legs to keep the hind legs spread. Find the sternum. Pull the skin up from the sternum and make a cut through the hide till you see pink, just through the fat layer. Then run your knife all the way down to the anus making sure to keep your knife just under the skin and fat, into the chest cavity, but not in the guts. A good way to do this is use one hand as a guide holding your first 2 fingers like a fork and running your knife just behind your fingers. Once you do that, go back up to the sternum and dig your hands up towards the esaphagus. Cut it all the way through and grab it along with the heart and lungs and pull. there will be a membrane that holds all the guts in the chest cavity. You are going to have to cut that all the way around the deer right along the hole that you created to begin with. Once you do that, you need to take care of the anus. I would recommend that you get a butt out. If not, you have to cut around the but hole and make sure that it is detached from the body. Then you need to pull it through with the rest of the guts. Then just roll the deer over and pour it all out. Rinse and your done.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Postby Ladybowhunter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:16 pm

My husband, started this new thing, by taking off the hind quarters, front legs, and back straps, no gutting..... I still do the whole gutting...nasty job, but somebody has to do it..lol
Ladybowhunter
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Return to Women Hunters