What do YOU get out of this???

Have you heard about that Monster Buck that was taken last week...?? Talk about it here!!

What do YOU get out of this???

Postby TRMichels » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:55 pm

The Premise: Several popular Game Activity Tables predict that fish and game animals will be most active or feed within a 1-3 hour timeframe of when the moon is either directly overhead or underfoot of their position on the earth. The question is; Are these Tables and Predictors correct in there predictions? I will tell you that I conducted an exhaustive research project of this subject between 1990 and 2000, on 5 different herds of deer in three widely separated locations.

One of the problems with the study was that I was seeing dozens of deer, and was often unable to determine if I was seeing one of the deer on several occasions, or several deer on several occasions. However, in our new location, we have only one whitetail doe in the area. So, I will be able to determine if the activity of one particular deer is correlated with the times predicted by one of the several Game Activity Tables currently available to hunters. For the purposes of this study I will be using the Astro table. Which is available on the ESPN web site at http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/...a_astro_tables. To determine the meteorological conditions at the time of the deer sightings I will be using the weather station closest to our house, which is within 3 miles. The address of the website is http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...st?query=eagan, mn &wuSelect=WEATHER.

Following are the sightings so far, and the weather data and predicted activity times.

Since we can deduce several things about deer behavior from this data, if we know what to look for, my question to you is - "What can we learn from this information?"

I'll keep you updated as the days go by.

Thursday, June 04, 2009 At about 5:45 AM I saw a Coyote sniffing the air right near out apartment. It was a lot of fun watching the animal look for the source of my burnt bacon, which I am sure wafted out the kitchen window to the meadow below. Astro Table 10:02 - 11:18 AM.

From 6:30 AM until 6:50 AM I watched a doe White-tailed Deer feeding in the meadow. I did not see where the deer came from, but when it left, it went west into the trees, down a hill toward one of the lakes. You can view the video here. I hope to see the doe's fawn in the next few weeks. Astro Table 9:57-10:53 AM and 9:07 - 10:39 PM.

Friday, June 05, 2009 At 3:15 AM we heard a coyote howling, presumably in the woods behind the house. Astro Table 11:26 - midnight.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 The whitetail doe was in the meadow feeding at 7:23PM; it came from the woods north of the meadow and left at 7:29 going south toward another patch of woods. Astro Table 11:51 AM - 12:43PM. No Correlation.

Sunday, June 07, 2009 The whitetail doe was in the meadow feeding at 6:20AM; it came from woods to the south of the meadow and left at 6:31 going north into the woods. Astro Table 12:21-1:07AM.

Sunday, June 08, 2009 The whitetail doe was in the meadow at 8:50 PM. She left going south. Astro Table 1:37-2:32 PM. No Correlation.

Monday, June 08, 2009 The whitetail doe was in the meadow at 7:44 AM; she came from the woods south of the meadow and went to the woods north of the meadow. The Astro Table 1:27 - 2:23.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009 At 7:54 PM the doe stepped into the meadow from the woods on the north and fed there until 8:02, when she left going south. Partly cloudy, no wind, temperature 60 degrees. Astro Table2:28 - 3:14 PM.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 Cloudy, no wind, 51 degrees, Twilight 4:48 AM, Sunrise 5:25 AM. At 5.36 AM the doe was leaving the meadow going north. Astro Table 2:47-3:43 AM.

Diane saw the doe in the meadow at 8:30 PM; it came from the woods north of meadow, and it left going to the woods south of the meadow. Astro Table time was 3:54-5:00 PM.

I will tell you this - if you can start to understand deer activity - you will be able to figure out sevearl things about when, where and how to hunt deer from this study. In fact, this may be one of the nmost important lessons you will ever learn - if you have not leaned it already.

So - what does this tell you???

God bless

T.R.
T.R. Michels
Trinity Mountain Outdoors

Commit a random act of kindness everyday, and give the credit to God
TRMichels
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby Smitty8105 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:57 pm

It tells me that the Deer doesn't really care about the Astro table! It cares more about getting food in her stomach!
Smitty8105
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

103.00Points

Postby TRMichels » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Anything else - there is a lot more she is trying to tell you.

God bless,

T.R.
T.R. Michels

TRMichels
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby sqwrly » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:31 am

the times she feels more secure in her surroundings and less threatened by what's around. she switches her pattern nightly, one night she'll come from the south and go north and the next go from north to south....maybe she has beds for different paths she takes.
mathews DXT 25" 65#
Parker extreme ultra-lite 31 24" 70#
Benelli Nova 24" barrel 3 1/2 inch
Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 Cal
CVA Wolf .50 cal
sqwrly
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

93.00Points

Postby Smitty8105 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:29 pm

Yea what he said, lol! I didn't think you wanted me to get all technical and stuff!
Smitty8105
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

103.00Points

Postby TRMichels » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:31 pm

She always come from the northe in the evening ...

Conclusions:

It appears that the deer is somewhat predictably active within 2 hours of sunrise and sunset, but it is unpredictable as to how often it will be seen within a given week at those times. And it is fairly predictable as to where it will be at those times. In the last week the doe has been in the meadow within 2 hours of sunrise 5 times; and has been in the meadow within 2 hours of sunset 3 times. None of those times was within the timeframe given by the Astral Table for those days.

These sightings do not prove that this doe did not feed at times correlating with the overhead or underfoot position of the moon, or the times predicted by several popular Game Activity Tables that use the position (or other factors) of the moon, in their predictions. But, since several scientific studies show that deer are most active on a daily basis within 1-2 hours of sunrise and sunset, I think it is unlikely that this deer was also active at those times.

This study suggests that Game Activity Tables (that rely on the overhead/underfoot position of the moon) are unreliable at predicting the best times to see deer - at least this particular deer. After 10 years of research I've found that none of the tables (Solunar Table, Feeding & Fishing Times, Moon Guide) are accurate more than 20% of the time. I don't know about you - but that is not good enough for me.

------------------------------------------

But, what other conclusions can you come to from this, about the times the deer was seen and the places it was seen.

God bless and good hunting,

T.R.
T.R. Michels

TRMichels
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby adaye » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:19 pm

Thats pretty interesting info. From my personal experience, it always seems that deer activity or sightings during what we hunters normally think of as prime time (first and last hour or so of daylight), seem to slow down durning these periods.

From your studies, do you feel this is more of a myth or is there any correlation?
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Postby Smitty8105 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 pm

I wish i had the time to do all that study!
Smitty8105
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

103.00Points

Postby TRMichels » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Deer Behavior, Research - and Hunting, Lesson 1

The difficulty with predicting where deer are going to be active each day - is figuring out how all of these factors interact with each other. After 10 year of deer research, documenting the behavior of over 4000 deer sightings with all of these factors, I think I've got a pretty good handle on predicting deer activity on a daily basis. When I go out the door I don't just plan on going to my normal deer stand, or just any deer stand, I immediately begin to think about when and where the deer will probably be active that day, and I go there.

My research into the biology and behavior of deer, and my deer hunting experience as a guide and outfitter, has made me quite successful at seeing deer on a regular basis, up close, and personal enough to archery hunt them.

Anyone can do what I have done, to help them understand deer better, which should make them better able to predict when and where to see deer on a regular basis, which will in turn make them more successful as hunters. All you have to do is start to take notes on the meteorological and lunar conditions each day you see deer, where you saw the deer, what time you saw them, and what they were doing.

After a couple of weeks you may start to see some patterns as to where and when the deer are most active. After one hunting season you may see some patterns as to when and where to find the deer under any of the weather condition you might encounter during the fall and winter, and during the different phases of the rut. Start out with a log book, check the local weather station as close to the time you hunt as you can, and write down where you saw the deer, where they came from, where they were going, what they were doing, their sex and approximate age or number of points, the phase of the rut, and the location and availability of food sources. You'll be amazed at what you learn.

And while you are doing it, remember that you are beginning to use the technique known as "patterning" deer. If you combine your understanding of when and where to find deer on a regular basis, with good scouting techniques, you will be better able to put yourself in the right place at the right time to hunt a specific deer, possibly even a trophy class buck, on most days. No matter what the conditions are like.

Deer Behavior, Research - and Hunting, Lesson 2

As mentioned before, the travel route of a deer usually follows the path of least resistance. But, the desire to follow the path of least resistance is overridden by the need for security. They often have a preferred trail by which they leave their daytime core area in the evening, and a preferred trail be which they go back into their daytime core area in the morning.

In the morning, when the doe left its daytime core area, it would be easier for the deer to simply walk down the road, which paralleled the gully, to get to the bottom of the gully, where it opened up into a meadow, than to travel through the steep terrain and thick vegetation of the gully. However, the deer would be more visible, and more susceptible to predators and hunting pressure, in the open habitat of the road. In order to feel more secure, the deer chose to travel in the bottom of the steep gully, where both the terrain and the vegetation made it less visible.

Since this deer leaves the meadow (which is part of her daytime core area) in the evening, by using the gully on the southwest side of the meadow, and comes back into the meadow in the morning, by using the same gully, and it travels through the gully at about the same time every time it uses it, either in the morning or the evening,, we can assume that the trail in the gully is one of her preferred trails (similar to the rub route of a buck).

One of the most obvious places to setup to hunt this deer, is in the gully, close to the meadow in the evening, so we have a chance of seeing it during daylight or legal hunting hours. In the evening we could also setup in the gully, someplace where we think we can intercept the deer before it gets back to the meadow. Similarly, the best places to setup to take a buck, is along one of its preferred trails (along its rub route),. either the trail out its daytime core area in the evening, or the preferred trail back into its daytime core area in the morning.

I hope eveeryone learned something (from the deer) from this excercise. If not go back and look it over again, it might help you figure out - how to figure out - why a deer is where it is at, at the time it is there, which might help you pattern the deer, and choose a place to set up, where you will semi-regularly see it.

If you have questions - please fire away.

God bless,

T.R.
T.R. Michels

TRMichels
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Re: What do YOU get out of this???

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:49 pm

That was really informative. Wow. I didn't realize all of that. Thanks for the posts.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Return to Deer Hunting Facts and Rumors