Practicing with gear on

Need help or have Questions on Setup, How to, tuning, etc... It's all here!

Practicing with gear on

Postby mckmike73 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:02 am

I keep seeing on here as well as many other places, that you need to practice with full gear on. If it changes the shot, shoudld you make adjustments to the bow or try to change the way you are shooting so that you shoot as accurate as if you had on shorts and a tshirt?
mckmike73
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Re: Practicing with gear on

Postby Smoke1 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:32 pm

I find that practicing with gear on is an opportunity to find out how it feels when you come to full draw and finding out if there is any clothing getting in the way or making any noises. I then make any necessary adjustments to clothing or wear a forearm band to avoid my sleeve getting in the path of my string. I've never made adjustments to my bow to compensate for wearing additional clothing. I think finding a shooting style that reduces the chance of hitting clothing upon release would be your best bet.
Smoke1
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

63.00Points

Postby mrscope » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:22 pm

I also wouldn't make adjustments to my bow because of clothing. You should look at ways to change your gear or strap it down better or as mentioned above tweek your shot a little to avoid problems you run into. Practicing is one of the best things in my opinion. Nothing like missing an opportunity because you sleeve out in the way.
mrscope
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby Full Throttle Hunting » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:14 pm

You shouldn't have to regularly practice shooting with your gear on. If you are new to bowhunting and shooting it is a good idea to shoot that way for a few sessions until you learn to shoot well repetitively. I recommend shooting with your winter wear on as well just to see if they extra layers will hit your string. I learned a couple years into bowhunting that if I positioned my arm a little different on the bow I could avoid having to wear an armguard to hold my heavy wear out of the way of the string.
-Eric-
Full Throttle Hunting
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

36.00Points

Postby adaye » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:41 pm

adjust your clothing not the bow.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:40 pm

I agree with adaye. Once you have your bow to where it fits your shooting style, match your clothing to your shooting style. Not the other way around. But if the clothing changes, due to a warm day or extra cold, make sure you know the differences in your gear and how they affect your bow shooting.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Return to Technical Archery