Epic Squirrel Thread / Modified Ammo Test

Everything about Small Game Hunting...

Epic Squirrel Thread / Modified Ammo Test

Postby Josh Smith » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:17 am

This post contains three topics: The first squirrel of the season, a trigger job on an Accutrigger, and an analysis of a Mini-Mag bullet that had been hollowpointed using D Rock’s tool, as some have asked for a report on a live animal.

This post is extremely graphic. While I do eat what I kill, this post contains a detailed dissection of the squirrel so that the wounding effects may be observed. If blood, guts, etc bother you, please close the window now. This is most definitely not for children.

Hello,

I was reading on Rimfire Central a way to do a trigger job on an AccuTrigger. I had only been searching for a schematic so that I could stone the parts, but when I saw that a very light but safe trigger could be had simply by swapping springs, I gave it a go. I will not go into detail here, but what I did is very similar to procedure outlined in this link: Savage Rimfire AccuTrigger Tuning - RimfireCentral.com Forums

The main difference is that I used new springs and saved the stock ones so that I can return the rifle to its original state at any time. The trigger now measures just a bit less than a pound, and this is how I like it: I don’t really have to think about trigger control beyond the basics; I just exhale and send the bullet.

I would not do this on a hunting rifle without an AccuTrigger.

After I concluded the safety and live fire tests, I saw a squirrel scooting up a tree bordering my range. I had not yet taken a squirrel – they seem to disappear around here this time of year until the foliage is off the trees – and I’ve been wanting some fried squirrel.

As well, it was requested that I report back about D Rock’s hollowpointer tool after I had taken live game with a bullet modified with it. It did stellar in water tests, expanding to .36â€
Josh Smith
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:16 am

WOW... Thats alot of details... Very cool read though...

So I assume this tool just grinds a standard 22 bullet into a hallow point..?? Now I dont know much about bullets or reloading, but this seems like it could be slightly dangerous....??
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby Josh Smith » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:32 am

Hello,

It doesn't grind; it presses. Full weight is retained, and the bullets are resized to a standard .224" diameter. They vary a bit from the factory unless they're target munitions.

It's not dangerous; at least, I've never heard of anything ever exploding. A primer needs a sharp strike to set it off, and this doesn't provide one. Some folks even tap these lightly with hammers - not something I'd personally do, but it is done.

Paco Kelley and some Neil (?) fella also make these. Mine was made by D Rock on rimfirecentral.com .

I chose to use the press; an arbor press is recommended.

Josh <><

P.S. I have no financial interest in these; I just think having a 40gn HP resized bullet is pretty cool, and I don't have to pay for (or try to find!) Velocitors to do this. J.S.
Josh Smith
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:48 am

Cool... Seems neat for sure... I am not that into bullets and small game, but seems very interesting for sure...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby adaye » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:47 pm

Good review....Very detailed.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Postby Josh Smith » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:50 pm

Hello,

There have been questions about the flat pointed round, ala the CCI Small Game Bullet.

I just took another, but with the flat points, .125" as are the CCI SGBs. One shot, waited for a duplicate angle to the first one, and made the duplicate shot at a duplicate range (or almost, about 70 yards vs 75 for the first.)

The only real difference is that the wound path is a mirror image and the entrance was on the other side.

[IMG:800:450]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Flatpointed%20Mini%20Mag/savageandsquirrel.jpg[/img]
The Savage and the squirrel...

[IMG:800:600]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Flatpointed%20Mini%20Mag/bulletpath.jpg[/img]
... the wound path...

[IMG:800:600]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Flatpointed%20Mini%20Mag/entranceside.jpg[/img]
... the entrance side...

[IMG:800:600]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/Flatpointed%20Mini%20Mag/exitside.jpg[/img]
... and the exit side.

When I fired, the squirrel fell off the log and didn't twitch. I chambered the next round, which was a hollowpoint, and watched. After about five seconds the squirrel began to move, and in about 30 seconds it had moved itself about 10 feet from where it initially fell.

I almost sent the hollowpoint as it was heading into some dense brush, but it rolled over and started kicking at that point, so I waited for it to stop. When was sure it wasn't going any further, I made my rifle safe and retrieved a fillet knife and my camera.

The bullet was a CCI Mini-Mag 40gn flatpointed to .125".

I think maybe I have different expectations: I expect a squirrel to go "bang, flop, and (maybe) twitch," even given a relatively poor hit. OTOH, many folks expect the critter to die within a minute or so if shot through the boiler room, but strive for head shots.

I'm pushing the .22LR envelope with this rifle, and I need ammo that will perform well out to 100+ yards.

Regardless, this is three down and in the freezer with only one lost this year.

Josh <><
Josh Smith
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Return to Small Game Hunting