2009 Food Plots....

Any questions or Information you have about Food Plots...

Postby Southern Man » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Yes, lime. Of course the proper amount of fertilizer is needed, but if the ph level is wrong, it doesn't matter how much frertilizer you put on the plot, it just won't give the results. Lime is the key to adjusting ph in most cases. A simple soil test is all that's needed and you can have that done locally. A soil test can will give you the current ph level of your soil and the amount of lime needed to adjust it to where it needs to be. It will also tell you how much fertilizer needed to grow clover. Around here I can take a soil sample to the local co-op and tell them I need a soil test on this ground and I want to grow clover. They'll do the rest. Usually about 2 weeks later they have the results and I buy what I need for the plot. It's a simple thing here, but I'm from a farming area. Just make sure you tell them what you are going to do with the land and the results you want. They'll figure what you need. Usually the soil sample is sent to the ag dept of a university. University of KY does ours.
We can't continue to do the same things over and over and expect different results
Southern Man
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby Southern Man » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Also, remember that to get the full results of adding lime will take sometimes a year. The lime has to break down in the soil to benifit. I never really worried about that and just let it go. The clover you plant will last for years and it will benefit from the lime, even tho delayed. If you're a stickler for details, you can buy products that can be sprayed on the ground that will raise ph immediately and hold it long enough for the lime to kick in. I think Gain is one of those products. But beware, Gain (or anything like it) isn't enough by itself. You still need to apply the lime. Are their famers in your area?
We can't continue to do the same things over and over and expect different results
Southern Man
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:40 am

Yeah we do have farms around here for sure... I guess the first step would be the soil test, and I believe that Southern States does that... So maybe I'll take a sample down to them this week and see what they say...

I purchased that PH Tester, from Mossy Oak (I think)... Apparently that isn't an accurate tester..?? I've never heard anyone talk about it... Anyone ever used it or compared it to a real soil test...??
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby Southern Man » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:14 am

I've never tried one. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Southern Man
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Killer Food Plot Mix

Postby ccbwhitetail » Fri May 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Guys,

I just got my plot sites done and I had to stop by and share this with everybody. I was on the net surfing around a couple of weeks back and I came across a new company from Western KY called Maximum Draw Products. It appears these 3 die hard hunters got tired of spending money on stuff that didn't work or was to expensive they could not afford it so they started three years ago to create their own product line for the average income hunter. Let me tell yea, these boys got it going on. I bought a 5 pound bag of their clover max plus that is 80% Alfalfa and 20% White clover. it was already precoated with summit seed coating and preinoculated. The bag says it will cover 3/4. I thought I was pretty accurate when I broke my plot sites but i could have misjudged or planted it to thick in areas. It got very close though. But, I can't complain I only gave $26.00 for a 5lb bag and that is a far sight cheaper than I could of got it anywhere else. They also have a deer mineral that a lot of the other forums are praising, I haven't tried it yet but i probably will. if anyone is interested in checking this stuff out go to www.maximumdraw.com I figure I have tried everything else and if this works as I expect it will I came out ahead and saved a few bucks (no punn intended)

Take Care & Stay Safe,

C. Colver
ccbwhitetail
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Trying something new

Postby Full Throttle Hunting » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:18 pm

I just worked ground last weekend and ordered my seed. I think I'm going to try something new this year since the Biologic Maximum didn't really show any use last year. I bought Whitetail Institute Winter Greens and Pure Attraction for this year, so hopefully I have better results.
Full Throttle Hunting
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

36.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:54 pm

I planted whitetail clover this spring... Its coming up great, although I didn't get the weeds killed well before planting... I ended up putting herbicide on it about 2 weeks ago and the weeds are DEAD... Stuff works great... I have a few pictures of before and after, I will try to post them...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby adaye » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:51 pm

I've been thinking about putting in a fall plot at one of the properties I hunt. There is some spots in the corn fields that didn't grow due to all the rain we had here in the spring so I figured I may put something in there for the fall.

Thinking about Hot Spot or Green Patch from biologic.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Previous

Return to Food Plots