Official HSUS Thread!!!!

Post any info you have on New Laws being passed that will help or Hurt our Sport and details on who needs to be contacted accordingly... This is Important...

Official HSUS Thread!!!!

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:18 pm

I have recieved permission from a member of another forum to post what he has written on our site. I think it is important that all hunters become aware of this situation in our country.

Humane Society of the United States
2100 L Street, NW, Washington, DC 20037
Phone 202-452-1100 | Fax 202-258-3051 | Email wpacelle@hsus.org

Despite the words “humane societyâ€
Last edited by txbowhunter on Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life.

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:19 pm

Continued:

McArdle realized then what HSUS understands today -- that an uncompromising, vegetarian-only, anti-medical-progress philosophy has limited appeal. At the 1984 HSUS convention, he gave his group’s members specific instructions on how to frame the issue most effectively. “Avoid the words ‘animal rights’ and ‘antivivisection’,â€
Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life.

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:19 pm

continued:

Motivation

When John Hoyt took over its presidency in 1970, the Humane Society of the United States had 30,000 members and an annual budget of about $500,000. By 1994, HSUS’s annual revenue had grown to $22 million. In 2003, that number jumped to $123 million, including nearly $3 million in investment income.

At the end of 2003, the nonprofit HSUS declared assets totaling over $113 million, including almost $16 million in cash and over $80 million invested in securities. It pays over $11.8 million in annual salaries, and another $3 million in employee benefits and pension contributions. When HSUS merged with the Fund For Animals in 2004, the group announced that its 2005 operating budget would be $95 million.

Raising money is Job One. HSUS will even adopt conflicting positions in order to satisfy individual patrons. Two HSUS donors once wrote to John Hoyt with very different views of the sinking of Icelandic whaling ships by Paul Watson’s violent Sea Shepherd Conservation Society in the late 1980s. In one response, Hoyt agreed with the donor that Watson’s actions were wrong, writing: “I am unequivocally opposed to any and all acts of violence in the pursuit of efforts to protect animals from abuse and suffering.â€

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:20 pm

continued:

A Horrible ‘Waste’

During 1998 and 1999, the Humane Society of the United States reported to the IRS that it made small financial contributions toward the operation of WASTE.org, an Internet website that was then the main distribution point for the “communiquésâ€

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Go to this link and see how they deceive people into thinking they are your local humane org.
Also, check out the org's associated with HSUS and their budget at the end of the report

http://www.hsus.org/web-files/PDF/HSUS_AR_05.pdf

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Annual report of the International HSUS for 2001/2002

http://www.hsi.org.au/news_library_e...der%201MG).pdf

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

HSUS CEO

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:26 pm

Wayne Pacelle: The Animal Advocate

Few people can speak for the animals like Wayne Pacelle, Chief Executive Officer of the Humane Society of the United States.

In his previous post as senior vice president of government affairs and communications, Pacelle compelled a broad range of Americans to act on behalf of animals, whether convincing Congress to protect great apes or urging Oklahomans to ban cockfighting within their borders. What's more, his eloquent defenses of the defenseless have appeared in hundreds of newspaper, magazine, radio, and TV stories; they have reverberated through state legislatures; and they have echoed in the ears of voters from coast to coast.

Who better to write a regular column on animal advocacy?

The Animal Advocate will know no boundaries. One month, Pacelle may argue for more federal funding for enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act, the next he may report about the role canned hunts play in the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease. The common denominator to all the columns will be Pacelle's passion for advocating change—not only for the benefit of animals, but for the public good as well.

The Yale University graduate has already compiled an impressive list of accomplishments in his animal-protection career. Among them:

* He has conceived of, or helped to direct, more than a dozen successful ballot initiatives, including the first ever ban in the United States on the use of gestation crates (Florida, 2002) as well as bans on the use of leg-hold traps (Colorado, 1996; Massachusetts, 1996; California, 1998; and Washington, 2000).
* He has worked with state legislatures to pass a broad range of animal-protection laws while also thwarting the advance of numerous measures to harm animals. He has, for example, helped to prevent the legalization of dove hunting in Iowa, Michigan, and Minnesota.
* He has helped pass more than a half dozen federal laws to protect animals, most recently working with Congress in 2002 to ban the interstate shipment or exports of fighting birds and dogs.
* He has testified before Congressional committees on more than ten occasions. His topics have included canned hunts, the Animal Welfare Act, cockfighting, the exotic pet trade, bear baiting, and Chronic Wasting Disease.
* He is co-founder and former chairman of Humane USA, a non-partisan organization that works to elect humane-minded candidates to political office.
* He officially became the Chief Executive Officer of The HSUS on June 1, 2004, and promptly sent the staff a statement outlining his beliefs and broad goals. One of which was to stop all bowhunting in 2005

http://www.hsus.org/legislation_laws...imal_advocate/

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Know your Enemy

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:27 pm

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

HSUS Crosses the Line

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:30 pm

The animal advocacy movement is richly diverse, and encompasses three major tendencies: animal welfare, animal rights, and animal liberation. Where all animal welfare and most animal rights groups insist on working within the legal boundaries of society, animal liberationists argue that the state is irrevocably corrupt and that legal approaches alone will never win justice for the animals.

Whereas animal liberationists have always urged a pluralist approach and shown appreciation for all tactics including welfare, the converse, unfortunately, has not been the case. Numerous welfare and rights groups have criticized the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) for actions they think hurt the image of animal advocacy and alienate potential sympathizers. In these criticisms, they display an appalling ignorance of the history and effectiveness of ALF actions. Through sabotage and raids, ALF actions have:

• Saved thousands of animals from a horrible fate and found them loving homes

• Freed thousands more to live out the rest of their lives in the wild

• Shut down egregious fur farms and laboratories

• Financially weakened countless exploiters

• Provided valuable video documentation of extreme animal cruelty, much of it done in the name of “scienceâ€

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:35 pm

continued:

It is a new level of naiveté and treachery that we can find allies amongst the army of the oppressor. It is a position that does meet the test of history or ethics. It is a position of inconsistence as HSUS does not support direct action for animals because it is illegal and considered violent by some, while applauding the FBI which has a long and documented history of criminal fraud and murder. It is a position almost as incredulous as its belief that we as movement can tackle the world’s single greatest oppression and prejudice (the violent exploitation of
animals) by simply being polite and patient where no other human-issued social justice struggle has ever succeeded using such tepid tactics.

I am tired of biting my tongue. If anyone is to be indignant in this argument it should be the volunteers of the passionate grassroots. I don’t want to be quiet anymore while executives at HSUS, who take six-figure salaries and some even still eat the animals we are fighting for, condemn the risk-takers and courageous few that gave this movement is birth and its continued hope. This is a debate and dialogue that needs to take place, but sadly you will only find one side willing to sit at the table of reconciliation. HSUS and others like them seek to silence this voice of dissent and retreat behind the same tired platitudes used by animal abusers evading confrontation.

We, as humans, are quarrelsome animals and are never going to agree on everything, but certain common ground and respect can be reached if we can stop the vilification. As a start this is the challenge I give to Mike Markarian, Wayne Pacelle, and all those who represent HSUS: the next time you have the opportunity to comment on militant direct action tactics in a news publication, cast as criminals those lab employees or feedlot operators whom we are united in opposition too, and spare those who support the tough tactics this movement needs to achieve its goals your vilification.

If HSUS is right that through education and legislation alone this movement can win justice for animals (or really, according to their stated goals, improve the welfare of the animal slaves), then why are more animals being tortured to death today than 20 years ago? Why is the movement barely able to do anything more than increase the size of the cages and bring about “humane slaughterâ€

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Next

Return to Hunting Laws and Protecting our Sport