I haven't hunted yet and I have questions!

Forum for Women in the Hunting World, Welcome to All...

I haven't hunted yet and I have questions!

Postby ULRagin'Cajun » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:27 pm

Hey y'all! I'm new to huntonly.com and new to hunting in general! My bf is usmcbowhunter on here and he would love to take me hunting soon. However, I know absolutely nothing about hunting :( Also, my bf is leaving for boot camp in a few weeks and I'd love to learn as much as I can while he's gone so I can go hunt with him and be more informed when he gets back! So i know this is very broad but what are your #1 tips for a brand spankin' new hunter?? Thanks :)
ULRagin'Cajun
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby txbowhunter » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:46 pm

Spend the time while he is gone in the woods watchin animals - just get out there and observe them, get a bow or rifle, whichever you will be hunting with and become profecient with it, you can also pick up some hunting mags and read through some articles, there are usually a few good tips in them.

I hope this helps and goodluck.
Well the first man comes along that can read Latin is welcome to rob us, far as I'm concerned. I'd like a chance t' shoot at a educated man once in my life.

Evotek Impact 28" @ 65#
txbowhunter
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby ArkansasDon » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:07 pm

txbowhunter, covered some great ways, pick at your bf too. Watch a few of the good huntin shows on TV like "Primo's Truth about hunting", "Deer & Deer Hunting", "Fiztgerald Outdoors" just a few I like watchin. These shows tell the truth and show miss's and blunders. They talk about the whitetail deer and there habitats. Hunters whether your a vet or new always never too old to learn more about what game ya'll are taking in the season. I'm glad to see another woman gettin into the out doors. My wife Sally belongs to "Women in the Outdoors". My business supports the local chapter my wife belongs to. There magazine has "ton's" of info. I was suprised when I picked it up and started readin threw it. :[]: Check them out http://www.womenintheoutdoors.org/wito/?SUBSITE=wito
My wife Sally goes on deer hunts and camp-outs with the women in her local chapter. Great way of learnin from experienced hunters and meetin new friends.
Welcome aboard :[]:
Arkansas Bowhunters Association Life Member
Sponsor/Supporter of Women in the Outdoors
Owner/Operator of Camo Solutions: Authorized Licensed User of Mossy Oak Camo
Hunt Only Moderator
ArkansasDon
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby ULRagin'Cajun » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:54 am

You guys have some great ideas..Thanks for helping me out :)
ULRagin'Cajun
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby mamabear » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:01 pm

I would like to add that while out there watching them make sure you don't startle them. Males spook more so and faster than does so have a care when you are out there. Have a good watch before you remove yourself from your position so as not to show them that you are or were there. A doe that sees you in a spot will be alerted and will watch that spot if she returns and she will teach the others to watch it too. Look well before moving away. I don't hunt but I am watching them as well and learning their positions and what they do. It depends on the day(windy,cold and even the moon where I am). I keep a ledger of what I see and what time I see them and what direction they came from.

Good luck
Life is simple
~Love your family with all your heart, respect the land you live on and eat what you shoot~
mamabear
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby mathewsguy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:54 am

thats a great point mamabear. everyone gave you great advice. If you know anyone else that is a hunter it may not be a bad idea to have them take you to the woods. they will know where the deer hang out so your not out there walking around scaring the deer out of the area. stop in and talk to some of the people at the gun and bow shops around your area they are usually very helpful. good luck
Whiteial Affliction field staff
mathewsguy
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Re: I haven't hunted yet and I have questions!

Postby Poppy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:07 pm

Sorry for joining in late, but a way to learn the woods and have fun is to cast tracks, just walk around, look at the tracks, see where they are,whats around that would cause them to be there, and after awhile you'll find your self asking the same 2 questions when you look at a track,"where are they going?" and "what are they doing?" This is actually a fun way to not only learn the game and the woods, it makes for interesting pieces to talk about.
Poppy
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

66.00Points

Postby DandNoutfitters » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:42 pm

I would suggest taking a gun safety/hunting safety course...They have a lot of good/helpful information not only on weapon safety but hunting in general. Also they would be a good source as to the laws in your area! Just some research you could do on your own so you can join in on some hunting conversations and maybe teach them a thing or two!! ;) Good luck and welcome to the woods!!
DandNoutfitters
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby MidnightAngel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:31 pm

I agree with everyone, you can also go to the library and take out some books on Whitetails, if that's what you're hunting. There are a ton of books written about deer and hunting, I was actually surprised when I saw as many as I did at the library. Good Luck!
MidnightAngel
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:10 pm

The best way to know animals is to observe them in the wild. Get out there. Take him with you instead of the other way around. Might be good for both of ya.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Next