I CAUGHT ME A POACHER!!! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

Post any info you have on New Laws being passed that will help or Hurt our Sport and details on who needs to be contacted accordingly... This is Important...

I CAUGHT ME A POACHER!!! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

Postby BLong » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 am

TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, MY FAMILY FARM IS 204 ACRES IN ST. MARYS COUNTY, MARYLAND. WE FARM AND HUNT OUR LAND ALONG WITH AN 86 ACRE FIELD ADJACENT TO OUR PROPORTY. THE DAY WAS OCT. 29TH AND FOR US MARYLAND HUNTERS THIS IS DURING AN EARLY MUZZLELOADER SEASON AND IS ALSO A DOE ONLY HUNT. ANYWAY I WAS HUNTING MY TYPICAL AREA ADJACENT TO THAT 86 ACRE FIELD WHEN I HAD A SMALL 4 POINTER WALK UNDER ME A HEAD OUT TO THAT FIELD. HE NO LONGER GOT OUT OF MY SIGHT WHEN "POW", SOMEONE HAD SHOT THAT BUCK. WELL, I LOOKED OUT INTO THE FIELD AND COULD SEE THE WHITE CHEST OF A DEER LAYING IN THE FIELD. KNOWING THE LAND OWNER DOESN'T ALLOW ANYONE BUT MYSELF TO HUNT HIS PROPERTY I IMMEDIATELY GOT OUT OF MY STAND AND RAN TO MY TRUCK TO DRIVE BACK THERE BEFORE THEY MOVED THE BUCK. WHILE RUNNING TO MY TRUCK I HEARD A SECOND SHOT(A RIFLE THIS TIME)(FYI-RIFLES ARE NOT TO BE USED HUNTING DEER IN SOUTHERN MARYLAND). NOW I'M GETTING PRETTY PISSED AND NOW I KNOW THERE ARE TWO PEOPLE BACK THERE. SO I DRIVE BACK THERE AND FIND A DEAD DOE WITH A RIFLE WOUND AND THE 4 POINTER BUCK WITH A MUZZLELOADER WOUND. SO MY FRIEND A FATHER-IN-LAW SHOW UP TO HELP. BY NOW ITS REALLY DARK AND HERE COMES SOMEONE ACROSS THE FIELD WITH A FLASHLIGHT ON. SO WE APPROACHED THE MAN WITH CAUTION NOT KNOWING WHATS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. I ORDERED HIM TO UNLOAD HIS GUN AND TOLD HIM TO SHOW ME THAT IT WAS EMPTY. HE SHOWED ME AND IT TURNS OUT THIS GUY WAS HUNTING BACK HERE WITH TWO OTHERS. THE TWO OTHER PEOPLE SHOT THE DOE AND THE 4 POINTER. THIS GUY WAS BACK THERE FOR HIS FIRST TIME WITH HIS FRIENDS THAT TOTALY SET HIM UP. THE GUY WE CAUGHT WAS ON THE LEFT MIDDLE SIDE OF THE FIELD AND HIS TWO FRIENDS WERE ON THE RIGHT SIDE (BACK AND MIDDLE OF FIELD). WHEN THEY HEARD MY TRUCK THE TWO BAILED AND RAN BACK TO THEIR HOUSE(APPROXIMATELY 1 MILE AWAY). FORTUNATELY FOR ME THIS GUY I CAUGHT HAD TO CROSS THE FIELD TO GET HOME PLUS HE PARKED HIS ATV IN THE BARN ON THIS FIELD. HE HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO COME OUT AND TURN HIMSELF IN. HE CLAIMS HE WAS TOLD THAT THEY HAD VERBAL PERMISSION TO HUNT. I CONTACTED DNR POLICE AND THEY RESPONDED AND HE WAS GIVEN 4 CITATIONS-1.WAS NOT WEARING ORANGE-2.WAS NOT CARRYING ALTERNATIVE I.D.(DID POSESS VALID HUNTING LISENCE) I WAS SUPPRISED. 3. ATTEMPTED POACHING-4.WAS NOT IN POSESSION OF WRITTEN PERMISSION SLIP. THESE ARE ALL VALID LAWS OF MARYLAND AND WERE NOT FOLLOWED. HE ENDED UP WITH 800 PLUS IN FINES. HE DID GET HIS ATV AND GUN BACK B/C WE COULD NOT PROVE HE SHOT THE BUCK ESPECIALLY WITH WHERE HE WAS HUNTING. ANYWAY THESE GUY WERE APPROXIMATELY 200-300YARDS AWAY FROM ME. I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE THERE UNTIL THEY SHOT. JUST PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU WEAR YOUR ORANGE AT LEAST TO A FROM THE STAND. YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHAT OTHER PEOPLE ARE CAPABLE OF DOING. JUST WISH I CAUGHT THE OTHER TWO INSTEAD.

BE SAFE OUT THERE! WE HAVE TOO MUCH TO LOSE!

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THESE TYPE OF ENCOUNTERS?
I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me,
I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive
And a country boy can survive-Hank Jr.
T/C BLACK DIAMOND 50CAL. / BEAR "TRUTH" #70 / REM. 12GA 870 3'/ .223-.270-22MAG
BLong
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:11 am

good job on catching that SOB. shame you didnt get the others. did the other guy rat the other snakes out? hope they string them out too. what happened to the deer? be careful out there!
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:18 am

Man that really sucks... I hope they really press to find the other 2 guys... Trespassing is bad enough, but poaching is a whole other level to me... I hope they threw the book at him...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby adaye » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:53 am

Sorry to hear that but glad you caught them. Did the other two guys get fines also or did they get away with it.

Some friends they are to bring there friend along and them leave him there to take all the heat.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Postby BLong » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:50 am

SO FAR THE OTHER TWO HAVE GOT AWAY WITH IT. BUT I FIGURE THE DNR HAS THEIR NAMES AND WILL KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THEM. I'M PRETTY SURE THEY WILL NOT BE BACK BUT HEY IF THEY CONTINUE, EVEN SOMEWHERE ELSE, DNR WILL EVENTUALLY CATCH UP WITH THEM. HOPEFULLY SOONER THEN LATER. MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS THE ONE WITH THE RIFLE. THE ONE WE CAUGHT SAID THAT IT WAS A 270. NOW, THE RIFLE IS NOT EXACTLY THE CONCERN, ITS THE IDIOT BEHIND THE TRIGGER. BESIDES THERE ARE HOUSES THAT ARE ONLY 1/4 THROUGH THE WOODS IF THAT. INCLUDING MINE IN ABOUT 5 MONTHS. ITS ASHAMED WE HAVE ABOUT 300 ACRES OF FARMS AND FIELDS AND WERE SURROUNDED BY HOUSING DEVELOPMENTS. WE OCCASIONALLY FIND THE GUY WHO HUNTS HIS 1/3 ACRE LOT BEHIND HIS HOUSE. THOSE GUYS TICK ME OFF!

THE DEER WAS OFFERED TO US BUT WE REFUSED THEM. IT WAS 10 PM AT THAT TIME. THEY TOOK THEM TO BE DONATE TO FEED THE HUNGARY.
I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me,
I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive
And a country boy can survive-Hank Jr.
T/C BLACK DIAMOND 50CAL. / BEAR "TRUTH" #70 / REM. 12GA 870 3'/ .223-.270-22MAG
BLong
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby bohuntr22 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:38 pm

glad you caught him the farm i live has powerlines halfway around it and we run into that problem from time to time
SHOOT STRAIGHT AND MAY YOUR RUT BE LONG AND HARD

D.O.D
bohuntr22
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

39.00Points

Postby xHollowpointx#1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:44 am

Congrats on catching them. Weve had some poaching issues but have not caught any. Theres people that sit on the river and have people push deer and then slaughter them when they come out. Nobodys ever able to catch them. I know this is not related to poaching but we did catch 2 guys riding 4 wheelers through our property. They both bailed when my uncle stepped out of the truck and seen he had a rifle(300 Ultra Mag). So we got their 4 wheelers and notified DNR. They were able to search their registration and find out who they belonged to.
11 Points, 300 LBS, 225 Dressed[IMG:350:275]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa35/joey7950/Joseph_Englehart.jpg[/img]
xHollowpointx#1
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby xHollowpointx#1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:46 am

oh and P.S., Do where your orange. We dont need fellow hunters being shot
11 Points, 300 LBS, 225 Dressed[IMG:350:275]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa35/joey7950/Joseph_Englehart.jpg[/img]
xHollowpointx#1
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Re: I CAUGHT ME A POACHER!!! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Wow, thats aweful. I am really sorry to hear about that. I know I am being redundant, but I am glad that you caught the guy too. Those other two guys are going to get their dues. Whether it be in this life or the next. I just hope they don't hurt anyone in the process of breaking the law. Well I frequent Maryland a lot cause my ole lady has a house out there. So if you need some more help trying to track them down, you give me a shout and we will have ourselves a little scouting party. Good luck the rest of the season.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Re: I CAUGHT ME A POACHER!!! BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.

Postby Ladybowhunter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:42 pm

It's funny how some poachers get by with a slap on the hand, I think they should of threw the book at all of them...Glad you were ok, it could of been nasty...
Ladybowhunter
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Next

Return to Hunting Laws and Protecting our Sport