How Many Lbs.

Forum for Women in the Hunting World, Welcome to All...

Woman's bow or "Men's" bow

Woman's
50%
Men's
50%

Total votes : 6

How Many Lbs.

Postby stegengrl » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:44 am

I was just wondering how many lbs do your bows go up to? I am looking at buying a new bow and I am not sure if I want to get a "woman's" bow or just a normal one.... What do you think?
stegengrl
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby HuntingEd » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:47 am

I'll respond for saberbabe, since im not sure if she knows the exact stats of her setup (and im the one that bought it and set it up for her). Anyway her weight range is 35-50. Thats part of the reason i got the martin saber, its a great bow and perfect for small statured people. I started her at 35ish just so she could practice her form and get used to shooting, shes up to 46# now.... im sure she'll post here soon, but i figured id beat her to it :Very Happy:
Field Journalist - HuntOnly.com

Hoyt VTEC 28" @ 74# 283 ft/s
GTProHunters 5575 wraped and Blazed
100 Grn Rcky Mtn Snypers & Stinger 4 Blade
STS
QAD Ultra Rest
HuntingEd
170 Class Whitetail
170 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby saberbabe » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:19 pm

thanks eddie....segengrl, do you know what you pull back now? if you can handle the weight, i guess it probably is always better to have heavier poundage. the bigger then animal you want to kill, the more force its going to take to get it down. however, i don't speak from experience...just from what i hear from eddie. i don't really know what classifies a bow as a womans or a man's bow. Just pick one thats in a comfortable range for you. its not too hard to build up the draw weight, for me it was more keeping my arm stable when Im aiming. so if you plan on doing any weight exercises go for one that has a higher range!
saberbabe
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby misarcher » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:23 pm

I've got one of both.

I have a smaller Bear Black Bear that my father bought for me when I was younger. I still shoot it. It cranks up to about 50 lbs. I shoot it with fingers, no sights, no special rest, just as it came off the shelf at the bow shop. I guess it was for a "boy" not a girl. ...???

I also have a womans bow, a Martin Gazelle I bought about 5 years ago. It's draw weights are 45-60#.
I bought it because it was a little smaller than the men's bows.
I also shoot it with fingers, a TM Hunter rest, and a simple 3 pin sight. I think it's set about 55# right now.

I'd say choose a bow you are comfortable with, no matter if it's a man's or a woman's....
I don't know how much you want to or do pull, but I'd bet you could find a womans bow that would go up to 70# or so.... I choose to stay around 50-55lbs myself....that is plenty to get the job done.
misarcher
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby booker81 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 pm

I have a PSE Nova, I don't think that is marketed at a womens bow or what not. I have it set at it's highest - 55lbs. I shoot with a release, too much damage to my hands and fingers from horses. Three of the fingers on my right hand like to dislocate without much pressure, not a good thing if you are trying to hold a bow steady! Makes for neat parlor tricks though.
booker81
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby okiecowboy49 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:04 pm

well i hate to bother you ladies im not going to vote on this because i am really am not sure i believe in womens or mens bows, i believe you should shoot whatever bow fits you and you like you should always shoot one a at a pro shop or a friends or something before you dicide on what bow to shoot.there are so many differrent kinds out today it would be good to look at them all read up un them and pick out so many and shoot them then decide whether they call it womens or mens bow if it fits you shoot it. just my opinion though.
catch us if you can
okiecowboy49
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby ArkansasDon » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:26 pm

I agree and disagree with the fellar above, I my wife Sally is a bowhunter and she shot a mens bow for alot of years, just last year I found out that she had a hard time with that bow, weight wise, draw weight was OK but she didnt like the the heaviness of the bow, the other bow before that one was heavy too. Last year I was talkin with a friend that owns the local archery shop and the wife wanted a new bow.... Lindel told me about Martin's new bow for women call the "Tigress" Sally picked it up and was totally impressed with the over-all weight of the bow. Her comment was "it's not cummbersome, big and bulky". Lindel set it up for her , her comment was again, "she loved the feel of the bow, the handle was perfect and comfortable. A well balanced bow than her Hoyt, or her Darton.
Now I agree on the fact of a bow fitting a person, but some bows were designed for one or numerous types of people, handi-cap, kids,sometimes women who are small and not as strong. My wife Sally fell into that ........ and she shoot several bow that didnt fit her correctly, kids bows was too small in the riser, men or adult style bows was too heavy. But this Martin was like it was made for her. She doesnt get tired so easy (by the heaviness of the bow) that adds up to she can shoot more arrows longer, her confinence has improved and her groups are better than ever cause she not trying to mussle her bow to hold it up longer, or taking short time to shoot.
Heres' the bow
http://www.martinarchery.com/bows2006/index_22.php
top bows her 06 Martin Tigress
heres a pic of her bow, hers was ordered in Mossy Oak Break-Up
Sally shoots this 06 Martin Tigress @ 40lbs w/ 25 1/2" draw and her bow clocks-out @ 210 fps. She get pass threws with this bow.
Arkansas Bowhunters Association Life Member
Sponsor/Supporter of Women in the Outdoors
Owner/Operator of Camo Solutions: Authorized Licensed User of Mossy Oak Camo
Hunt Only Moderator
ArkansasDon
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby NEgirl » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:39 pm

I shoot a Diamond Edge. It think its a youth or a womens bow, but have it set at 47lbs, but it goes up to 50. You dont need to be able to shoot 70lbs to kill a deer. My 47lbs will go straight through. You need to find a bow that is comfortable to YOU. I was torn between a Hoyt Reflex and this bow, but this one was much cheaper. Honestly, there wasn't much difference in feel. Id go to a sporting goods store and shoot different ones to find whats best for you.
NEgirl
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:03 pm

Welcome the site NEGirl!! Always glad to have some women on board...

Sounds like you've taken some deer with a bow... Congrats!! Share some pics if you get some time...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby NEgirl » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:25 pm

No, I haven't shot a deer yet, but I know women that shoot about the same as me and have gotten deer. Hopefully will have some pics soon when, not if I get a deer this year. lol
NEgirl
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Next

Return to Women Hunters