drop away rests

Need help or have Questions on Setup, How to, tuning, etc... It's all here!

drop away rests

Postby urban hunter » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:36 pm

I'm looking into getting a drop away rest but not sure which ones are better then others. i hunt with a mathews dxt and currently use a whisker biscuit. any advice or opinions would be nice. thanks for the help.
urban hunter
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby adaye » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:22 pm

I have the QAD drop away and so far so good. No complaints here.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:49 pm

I have the new Octane fall away on mine... Works pretty good...
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Re: drop away rests

Postby seph606 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:33 pm

I switched from the whisker biscuit to a drop away rest too. I have a QAD Ultra Rest Hunter (economy model $50.00 - $60.00). I am currently using this drop away rest on my Bear Strike set to 61 lbs and 28" draw. The Rest increased my arrow speed from 220 fps to 244.2 fps (measured by chronograph) and it improved my grouping by approximately 50%. 6 inch grouping to 3 inch at 20 yards. Everyone is different though. With that being said, The Ultra Rest is extremely difficult to set up if you are using Blazer vane arrows (0.573" tall fletching) and you shoot with your odd vane out (1:00 or 2:00 position) to clear the buss cables. Every bow is different, and my bow is set up with the buss cables close to the center line. I have to shoot with the odd vane out to clear the buss cables which causes fletching contact on the rest. There are a lot of quick fixes to tune your bow to fit your Ultra Rest, however, I hate the idea of placing my nocking point off square (high) to clear blazer style fletching. I believe the Ultra Rest should tune to fit my bow and not the other way around. But it doesn't in this situation.

There is a fix for this situation, but most people just live with the fletching contact with blazer vanes. If you don't use blazer vanes then this rest should be a lot easier to set up. If you are like me and use the blazer vanes, then you will need to install the TL1 1/8" rest (included) and move your nock up 1/8" to be square. Use a square to measure a perfect 90 degrees from the rest to the arrow when the two white alignment lines on the Ultra Rest are aligned. Then adjust the timing cord until the white lines align and the fletching clear. Use lipstick to mark the fletching and show if the fletching is contacting the rest. Caution: Do not use excessive lipstick on your fletching or it will gum up the inside of the ultra rest housing and causes the rest to grind at full draw (extremely difficult to clean and re-assemble).

Note: This only applies if you use blazer vanes on your arrows and if you shoot at the 1:00 or 2:00 position. Blazer vanes should clear if you shoot with the odd vane up (12:00 position).

Overall, I love the QAD Ultra Rest Hunter, but it was extremely difficult to set up. The QAD Ultra Rest Hunter improved my arrow speed, and accuracy. It's worth the effort when you finally find that sweet spot in the set up. The archery technicians installed it for me and they installed it wrong and told me to live with the fletching contact. I took it off and re-installed it myself and got it to work as advertised. I learned my lesson, never let someone else handle or tune your bow.

Sorry this reply is so long. I probably got carried away again. However, there is still more that I learned about this particular model that could be helpful to you if choose this model, or to others who have ran into issues trying to set up their QAD Ultra Rest Hunter. PM me for more information. Hope this helps.
seph606
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby sqwrly » Mon May 31, 2010 10:05 pm

i switched from aq whisker style set up to a drop away as well. i too shoot the DXT and i love it!. i currently have on there now the mathews HDII it's great. no complaints works perfect easy to install and set up and worth the money. only thing i did to help the rest a little was put a few pieces of felt on the arms that hold the arrow helped keep it more quiet during draw.
mathews DXT 25" 65#
Parker extreme ultra-lite 31 24" 70#
Benelli Nova 24" barrel 3 1/2 inch
Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 Cal
CVA Wolf .50 cal
sqwrly
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

93.00Points

Postby titleist_03 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Shot the QAD last year and am definately sticking to it. Never had a problem with it and setup/adjustement was a breeze. No need for a press to feed the string through the cable.
titleist_03
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby WHITETAIL_MAFIA » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:08 pm

i shot the quad on my hoyt and loved it but on my pse it dosent seam to drop as fast as i need it to not sure what to do with that
whitetail_mafia /Jim

PSE BOW MADNESS XS

meats on the grill and beer on ice stop over door is always open
WHITETAIL_MAFIA
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:22 pm

I shoot the acpache drop away and I think it is awsome. I looked at a whole bunch of reviews before I got it. It had the best reviews of any drop away rest. Even the QAD Ultra rest. Plus, it was only 60 bucks as compared to the 130 for the QAD.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Postby SD SHEETZ » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:14 am

I like the Whammy by Spot Hogg.
'Till Next Hunt, SD
Whack 'em, stack 'em and pack 'em." Ted Nugent,
SD SHEETZ
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

111.00Points

Postby Ladybowhunter » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:50 pm

My son uses a QAD - ultra rest...and loves it...
Ladybowhunter
140 Class Whitetail
140 Class Whitetail

0.00Points

Next

Return to Technical Archery