Dreams of going to Africa...

Africa Safari Questions, Answers, Photos and more...

You can afford to hunt in Africa

Postby Livingstone Trails » Thu May 13, 2010 6:37 am

There are thousands of USA and Canadian hunters who would love to do a hunt in South Africa, but just can not afford it for now.

Well, here is a solution that would pay for a large part of your hunting trip to South Africa, making it more affordable for you to hunt in South Africa.

Zebra skins in the USA and Canada sell for between US$2600 and US$3500. You can hunt a large male zebra in South Africa for less than US$ 860. Only do a dip and ship in South Africa, and let your local taxidermy do the work on the skin. Before taxidermy cost, you should have a profit of US$1450 up to US$2350, depending on the size of the zebra that you hunted. Obviously if you hunt two zebras, you would have a larger profit to pay for your South African hunting experience.

The added bonus of hunting a zebra is that it is not an animals that dies just because you shot it. They are tough, really tough and you will have an amazing experience to tell your friends.

However, I would recommend that you first do your own research on what your taxidermy will charge you, and what you can sell the skin for.
Livingstone Trails
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 am

Now that is some VERY interesting information right there... Who would be willing to pay that kind of cash for a zebra skin...? Meaning, how do you sell it...?
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby Livingstone Trails » Thu May 13, 2010 8:48 am

In Kruger national park and in Pilanesberg national (bouth in South Africa), zebra skins are on sale for R 15000 to R 18000 ($2150 to $2570). You will be amazed how many of our safari clients bought zebra skins. Most of our safari clients come from USA and Europe.

I done two quick searches on Google:
"Zebra skin prices USA" and "zebra skins for sale".

Most of the results was from businesses selling the zebra skins at the rates that I mentioned before. therefore you willnot be able to sell direct to them for those prices, but if they are able to sell to the public for those prices, you should also be able to sell dirsct to the public at those prices.

Face it. You should at minimum be able to sell your skins at minimum $1000 profit per skin, which should cover a large part (if not in total) of your flight ticket.
Livingstone Trails
Button Buck
Button Buck

0.00Points

Postby SJohnson » Thu May 13, 2010 8:59 am

WOW, I just poking around a little and noticed that as well... Pretty cool!! That would be a nice way to curb a few costs on a Safari... Great Info!!
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby sqwrly » Fri May 14, 2010 12:42 pm

but what if one wish's to hunt something other than zebra? personally i'd like to nab a kudu, gazelle, or an impala
mathews DXT 25" 65#
Parker extreme ultra-lite 31 24" 70#
Benelli Nova 24" barrel 3 1/2 inch
Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 Cal
CVA Wolf .50 cal
sqwrly
180 Class Whitetail
180 Class Whitetail

93.00Points

Postby adaye » Fri May 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Thats sounds like a heck of a plan to help offset the total price of the hunt. But from what I understand you can't just sell animal skins or mounts in the U.S. I'm not sure if that only applies to animals found in North America or not.
If guns kill people then pencils mis spell words..
Hoyt Alpha Max 35 29" @65#
60" Checkmate Recurve 49# @ 28"
Benelli Super Black Eagle 24" Barrel
H&R 20ga. Ultra Slug Gun
CVA Optima Pro 45cal.
adaye
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail
220 Class Non-Typical Whitetail

15.00Points

Postby nalley1952 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:42 pm

adaye wrote:Thats sounds like a heck of a plan to help offset the total price of the hunt. But from what I understand you can't just sell animal skins or mounts in the U.S. I'm not sure if that only applies to animals found in North America or not.

Once you get them to the US through an importer then your ok. Although you'll never get that kind of money for a Zebra skin. I just checked with a supplier friend of mine. He's got several for $900 that have already been tanned. Tanning for a Zebra will run around $200 so now your down to about $350 profit after all the fees.
nalley1952
120 Class Whitetail
120 Class Whitetail

3.00Points

Re: Dreams of going to Africa...

Postby SJohnson » Wed May 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Yeah it does seem a little too good to be true... I mean if you could make $1,000 on every Zebra you harvested and brought home, I'd think everyone going would be planning to take at least 5...haha
SJohnson
U.H.B. Life Member
U.H.B. Life Member

99.00Points

Postby ChrtruseMajic » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:43 am

I would like to take a Kudu and a Gemsbok. They are two animals that I think are so awesome and so majestic. For me, they kinda define "Africa" in a way. But there are many truely great animals in Africa, but those two would be first on my list. Then we would see what else opened up. However, if I ever had a chance to go, I would jump on the first opportunity to hunt period; regardless of the animal.
Good Hunting,
Steve (aka) Whitt

Mathews Z7 Xtreme #60 29"
Beretta Extrema II 28" Barrel
Beretta 1975 OverUnder 30" Barrel
Marlin .22
Smith & Wesson M&P .45
ChrtruseMajic
190 Class Typical Whitetail
190 Class Typical Whitetail

306.00Points

Postby savingyour6 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 am

gazelle, or an impala would do me just fine... always have loved those guys.....
"A hunt based on only trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
savingyour6
200 Class Whitetail
200 Class Whitetail

384.00Points

PreviousNext

Return to Africa